Barber Electronics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eoengineer, Jun 27, 2019.

1. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

My Exacta is perfect at 9v. Amazing Muff tones

2. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

I think I use all my Barbers at 9v and I'm hard-pressed to imagine getting better results, especially with the tweakage available on each of them as it is. Not disparaging any attempts in play here, but rather just voicing appreciation for these pedals; Barbers seem to have annexed most of my board like a lopsided game of Risk!

jpagey likes this.
  3. loudguitars56

loudguitars56 Member

Original, LTD, Tone Press, and Gain Changer. Before the pedals, Dave used to do amp repair for a local Music Go Round. Rebuilt a 66 SUPER REVERB and a 58 DELUXE for me. He’s a quality guy who makes great pedals. You can’t go wrong buying a Barber pedal!!

stratmaniac, jpagey and Kevsonic like this.
  4. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

With this style circuit the range of the best sounds is between 8-10 volts. Transistors are tuned for amplification differently than an op-amps. In my testing 18 volts did not damage the circuit, but the sound was not good, and not worth "the chase" for users to start experimenting with high voltage..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    chromewaves likes this.
  5. oxtone

oxtone Member

Barber makes great dirt! I started with the large Burn Unit, and currently have the Gain Changer, 1/2 Drive, LTD SR, and Small Fry.

jpagey and David B like this.
  6. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I'll play...

[​IMG]

7. brs928

brs928 Supporting Member

I saw a good deal on a Gain Changer the other day, and I jumped on it. I had never played any Barber pedals previously, but I saw so many positive comments on this forum I thought it was worth trying out.
    It arrived yesterday, and I gotta say, you guys and girls were not wrong! What a great sound. This pedal is definitely a keeper. I was running it on the low gain setting, fat+flat EQ, and with the knobs mostly around noon. Sounded terrific. Then I added the klone in front of it and it got even better!
    I was able to dial in a sound that's pretty close to what I am getting from my RevivalDrive Compact. I'll probably put the gain changer on my small board, so I don't have to move the RDC back and forth between the large & small. Love it!

8. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

[​IMG]

AT 18V, just awesome.

David B, Jim Marciano and CJReaper like this.
  9. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I have an Orange Rocker Terror head, using a Gain Changer into the Natural Channel is definitely a different flavor than the Dirty Channel by itself. GC would also be nice into the Dirty Channel, I'm sure, I just haven't messed with it that much.

David B likes this.
  10. fred_

fred_ Silver Supporting Member

Hey Dave,

Sorry to bug ya but any update on whether we might expect some of the classics- Big box Burn Unit Eq, Tone Pump Eq, Etc...- in the near future? :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  11. David B

Oh man, I wish we could talk about this, but I am still trying to get responses to my emails I send to enclosure vendors, it really is the Twilight zone. I mean, how do you get paid and stay in business if you don't deliver? Boggles the mind!

12. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

What do the trim pots in the LTD do, if I could add a tiny bit of presence to my gain changer I would be very happy

13. David B

LTD had bass and presence trim pots, but trim pots went out of acceptable style, so we changed with the times. Gotta watch out for those pedal fashion police!

14. scatto

scatto Member

Snagged a Small Fry recently .... and it’s awesome :dude
    ... but I got to say my BUSS is every bit as good and you get the Super Sport as well! Just a little experiment for my own sake realizing some of the old box mojo is really all in my head. Dave’s build quality is just as good as it’s ever been!
    Now, I need to find another BUSS for a backup! They’re discontinued you know.;)

David B, Jim Marciano and Kevsonic like this.
  15. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

All I know is that 90% of all pedal mojo is in disontinuence, so what you've got there is a treasure!

Jim Marciano and scatto like this.
  16. David B

I'll be sure to put some NOS "disontinuence" in my next design to make it sell gangbusters!:)

ranchofm, Jim Marciano and scatto like this.
  17. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have several dual channels, several of the “regular” sized pedals, and a bunch of the small box Barbers. There’s magic in all of them. I have 25 Barbers and I really need to sell some of them off. But every time I have a massive Barber shoot-off different pedals win!

18. inheritsfrom

inheritsfrom Member

Where does the Gain Changer fit in the spectrum of OD types?
    I recently received the GC and I love it. I use it with Swart STR Tremolo, which, even at 5 watts, is way too loud for my bedroom playing. So I leave the amp volume at around 40-50% and use the GC for overdrive. I'm looking to add one more pedal that will give different flavor of OD than GC, and for a third different sound by stacking it with GC.
    I like a variety of different types of music, and I don't need to replicate any one type of genre exactly, but just get in the ballpark. I'm on the wait list for Kingsley Page, and I wonder if I'm on the right track. Thanks.

19. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member