Barber family of overdrives

johngregson

LTD is great, that whole family of tones is within the Gain Changer now. Very highly recommended. The GC has the capacity for *much* more gain than the LTD but the low gain is gorgeous. I have a (v2?) LTD that is v nice, and collecting is fun but for functionality the new ones Barber are making are outrageously great value for money and don't skimp on tone.
The Tone Press compressor (haven't tried the Pump) can also function as a great FET boost, but for low gain sounds you really can't go wrong with the GC.

duality

my impatient a$$ couldnt wait for the first reply... just got a 2004 green LED for $70 +sh... demos sound great,just what im after... i usually have good luck with the translation from youtube demos to real life

def gonna look at the gain changer now too

ive read about the super sport etc it seems like there are a hell of a lot of variations... thats why i made the thread. i am looking for the lowest gain ones

johngregson

is there a "holy grail" version of the gain changer?
Not in my opinion, but there are 2 versions - the old original (plastic knobs) and the current Special Recipe (metal knobs). David Barber might be able to weigh in as I'm not an authority!
I have one of each, very happy with both and not sure I'd recommend one over the other - there might be a slight difference in EQ but I'd have to really A/B them carefully to confirm what the change is.
There's also the GCX which has the Mid control, I don't have any experience with that one but every report & demo I've seen sounds great.

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
I have one of the green LTDs. Been a few years since i played it, but it was nice. Cleaner and lower gain than most of my ODs. I seem to remember some internal pots as well. I'm going to pull it down and check it out again.

Last edited:

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
wow. I pulled my LTD and had a look. Is it possible I have the very first unit?

Dated June 22 2009 01 or is it just the first one made that day?

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
wow. I pulled my LTD and had a look. Is it possible I have the very first unit?

Dated June 22 2009 01 or is it just the first one made that day?

I don't know, but I don't think so. Mine is RS01250506. The board on mine has "LTD. Barber 2004" printed on it. Yours looks like "YTD V2 (or Y2?) " is on the board. I'm not sure when he started the LTD series.

Kevsonic

Silver Supporting Member
I have reached a stopping-point with the 1/2 Gainer. It's just so perfect - can stack into anything or be stacked with anything preceding it. It plus the DD/DC is the world for me!

But I agree, there are no bad Barbers!

eoengineer

Ugh I really need to get off my butt and order a gain changer. My Barber Burn Unit has reined supreme on my board for 5 years.

I’ll never get rid of it but my tastes have gravitated towards less gainy, less compressed, more transparent tones where the Burn Unit might have a little too much personality.

Grendel2000

Silver Supporting Member
Ugh I really need to get off my butt and order a gain changer. My Barber Burn Unit has reined supreme on my board for 5 years.

I’ll never get rid of it but my tastes have gravitated towards less gainy, less compressed, more transparent tones where the Burn Unit might have a little too much personality.
Good luck with that...

Unfortunately they're having production problems. I've wanted a new Gain Changer SR for over a month but they have nothing at all in stock. GCSR, Direct Drive or Tone Press - all out of stock. Their Facebook page says they're working on a limited run but will have limited quantities. That was posted on 10 June. No updates since then.

I'm crossing my fingers. Really hope they can get things back on track.

BTW - there's little to nothing available on Reverb either. People obviously love the stuff and just don't put it up for sale!

Top Bottom