Barber Fans - Tone Pump vs. Burn Unit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dhdfoster, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Hi, I'm a big fan of Barber pedals. I've owned the Tone Pump and sold it for rent money, but now I want to replace it. What are the real differences between the Tone Pump and the Burn Unit, soundwise. The Burn Unit has the dynamics control and the Tone Pump has the EQ options, but are they sonically that different?

Thanks!

2. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Very different pedals. The Tone Pump really sounds like your guitar only gives you more gain. To me it's a fatter tone and is great if you really love your amp and want to push it a bit farther. The Burn Unit has more gain and is more like having a great overdrive channel for your amp. The BU is great if you have a really stiff clean amp like a Twin and need a cool overdriven sound. The BU also has a great feel. I have them both and to me they are pretty different. Musictoyz has a couple of video demos of both pedals.

3. hecticone

hecticone Member

Have them both I think of the tone pump as a really nice 808 but some might disagree. The burn is a pedal that has a really huge image with great note seperation. I replace the tone pump with an ocean efx texas deuce.But the burn unit will be there for a long time.

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I couldn't get along with the BU because at the low clean volumes I play it's somewhat pedal-ish. Into a pushed amp it's incredible.

5. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Does anyone know what 'chip' is in the Burn Unit from Dave? I opened mine up and it's got nothing on it (I even looked with a magnifying glass)?

vtg

6. soundbee

soundbee Member

Chip should be 4559d (not 4558d - TS chip). The 4559d is a bit more 'hi-fi' sounding. Although the chip is in a socket. I've tried a bunch of chips in mine - ended up back to to the stock 4559d

7. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

+1

I'd love to try the tone pump myself someday. :drool

here's a video that captures the vibe that I get from my BUEQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxjt4wq5GM

8. impactblue

impactblue Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008