Barber Gain Changer with smoother top end?

Presc

I love my Gain Changer as a low gainer - incredibly transparent and really the closest to an extension of my amp that I’ve gotten from a pedal in terms of feel and responsiveness.

I just picked up a new Danocaster S and am really liking the GC vibe through that guitar, to the point that I’m debating a second one running with a bit more gain. That said, I play a modified DRRI which has a “halfway” bright cap on the vibrato channel. Different pedals have an different interaction with that cap, but the GC can get a little buzzy/crunchy with the gain higher running into this amp.

For those who have played the GC, any thoughts on something with a similar feel but sweeter top end?

(I have a Direct Drive and Small Fry as well...both great, but more coloration and compression that I’m looking for in this application).

I love my Gain Changer as a low gainer - incredibly transparent and really the closest to an extension of my amp that I’ve gotten from a pedal in terms of feel and responsiveness.

I just picked up a new Danocaster S and am really liking the GC vibe through that guitar, to the point that I’m debating a second one running with a bit more gain. That said, I play a modified DRRI which has a “halfway” bright cap on the vibrato channel. Different pedals have an different interaction with that cap, but the GC can get a little buzzy/crunchy with the gain higher running into this amp.

For those who have played the GC, any thoughts on something with a similar feel but sweeter top end?

(I have a Direct Drive and Small Fry as well...both great, but more coloration and compression that I’m looking for in this application).
Clip the bright cap.

Presc

Clip the bright cap.
I have a switch on the vibrato channel that toggles between the .47 stock value and .23, and then the normal channel wired the reverb and trem. I like how the amp sounds in .23 mode, but the GC's gain structure gets a bit grainy when set on the higher side (whereas some pedals do not). The amp is what it is, so that's why I'm curious about some alternatives.

I have a switch on the vibrato channel that toggles between the .47 stock value and .23, and then the normal channel wired the reverb and trem. I like how the amp sounds in .23 mode, but the GC's gain structure gets a bit grainy when set on the higher side (whereas some pedals do not). The amp is what it is, so that's why I'm curious about some alternatives.
You can always change the speaker.

Trending Topics