Barber GCX anticipation thread!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earthmud, Dec 6, 2016.

1. CRWolf

CRWolf Member

Uh oh. We may need a new "anticipation" thread.

2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

3. Improviser

Improviser Member

I'm very interested - too many fuzzes is never enough ! ;)

Planning on keeping the same theme of graphics / colors as the GCX ? I think you got it spot on there.

David B likes this.
  4. CRWolf

CRWolf Member

Or maybe some different hammered colors??? I'm not certain how those paints work, but a black and orange/copper in the same style as the GCX might be cool. A little homage to the old Trifecta while sticking with the new theme. I know you're all about practicality in a live setting and, I'm just sayin', it's much quicker to recognize a pedal by color than anything else. :D Just my 2ยข. You made a fan out of me a long time ago, so what your doing is working.

David B likes this.
  5. Thain

Thain Member

Will there be an internal trim pot for the sludge control? I always found this to be one of the really useful features of the Trifecta.

6. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I agree that the sludge control was a very useful feature of the full size 4 knob Trifecta. I wanted to be able to include something very similar on the compact, so I searched the web for pictures of pedalboards with Trifectas on them, to see favorite Sludge control settings, I also asked customers. I put the most popular setting on one of the toggles, and thought "great, this covers that angle too". Once the beta guys started testing, they felt that it was a little too difficult to hear, and that you could get into a similar sound by using the "flat" setting on the toggle, so at the moment it has been omitted. My philosophy with the compacts has been no trims, these units are likely velcroed to boards, and since they have no battery compartment, I'm looking at them as more of a "closed box" type of pedal. Right now it's a $149.95 pedal, adding a separate board for an internal trim would add cost to the pedal. It's one of the things I have lost sleep over with moving to compact pedals. I don't like the 4 knob layout on compact pedals, it pushes the knobs a little too close to the footswitch, and people hit the knobs in the heat of battle, so I really like the 3 knob "pushed to the top" approach.

I think the 3 knob compact Trifecta is hitting the mark where we are right now, there will be room for a larger extra fancy special edition version down the road, but the two toggles provide a lot more function than most builders offer in the compact 3 knob fuzz, and I love the tuning we nailed down, it really sounds incredible, so there's that.

For kicks, what was your favorite Sludge control setting, if you had to pick one?

7. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

I can't believe it took anyone that long to ask!! I was just about to (haven't checked in here in a while). Really excited for this... I've been thinking about picking one up used, but if you're getting ready to release a new one.... I think I can wait! Any other fuzzes on the horizon @David B ??

@zosozep7 didn't rat on anyone ;). Barber stuff is highly regarded throughout all of the forum, including that thread! I personally love my Burn Unit and Compact Tone Press!

zosozep7 likes this.
  8. Truce11

Truce11 Member

Only found one video demo of gcx on YouTube. I'd like to see hear more

9. David B

I have two more fuzzes that I'm working on, but with no timeline for delivery in the next year. My roadmap includes the compact Trifecta, compact Barb EQ, compact Linden, compact Launch Pad, another run of the B.U.S.S. (with tweaks), and the dual pedals resurface. So supernumerary fuzzes need to wait about a year. :)

rummy and bobotwt like this.
  10. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

Thank you sir! Let me know if you need any fresh ears for beta (or alpha) testing those two new fuzzes :D

11. Thain

Thain Member

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I guess I want one anyway. ;-)

My favourite setting is slightly between 9 and 10 o'clock, so very low, as otherwise I would be competing with our bass player.

12. David B

Do you use that with the center selection of the toggle? that seems to be the only sound that could kinda get into upper register bass player territory, and bass players love that sound on the Trifecta.

13. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I just got the Gain Changer and absolutely love it. I am definitely interested in now checking out the GCX. The thing is, I love different settings on the GC to the point where I want two of them on my board.

Groberts and David B like this.
  14. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

Then get a GCX to go with it.

Groberts likes this.
  15. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

@David B With the success of the GCX, do you have any plans to make a DDX - the adjustable mids knob is the secret sauce!

Agitator likes this.
  16. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

DD/DC has a mids knob. Great pedal.

Sociophile and David B like this.
  17. BFC

BFC Member

I'm in for a compact Linden for my bass rig. :cool:

David B likes this.
  18. David B

The DD DC, mids knob and two channels, and the same internal trims as the GCX. A little taller, but same 3.7" width.

Sociophile likes this.
  19. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

Honest question - not being snarky - ... So why make the GCX? Couldn't one accomplish the same thing with the 1/2 Gainer? For me, he biggest impediment is the size (long and tall) of the DD/DC enclosure. You overcame that with the GCX.

20. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

I've got the 1/2 Gainer, GCX, and DD DC and they all sound different to me