Barber Half Gainer and Wampler Black 65 order question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrsongbird, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Member

I got a Wampler Black 65 for my birthday (it was the PGS Demo that did it for me- I run it as close to those "Beast of Burden" settings as possible) and I have been putting it in between my Barber 1/2 Gainer and OCD v.4.

I guess my rationale is that it's in-between gain-wise, so it should be as such in the order. I was wondering, though, where you guys would put those two (the Barber and the Wampler). I was thinking I could put the b65 first and use one of the channels on the Barber as a solo boost for the Wampler.

Any thoughts?

2. Agreed

Agreed Member

I'd say B65 last in the signal chain as far as dirt goes, so you can experiment with the tone-shaping/preamp functionality. Lotta users converted to that way of thinking after I wrote about how several of us at Wampler and some of our artists were using it that way - it goes the last thing before modulation (and then delay, and reverb) in my own signal chain. I don't have a 1/2 Gainer, but I do have several Barbers and they all play nicely that way imo :)

I don't know how long you've had it, but we recently redid the manuals and you might want to check out the new manual for the Black '65 to see if it can offer some inspiration, maybe?

3. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Member

I might try that out- I have to say that I really like the drive characteristics of the pedal though, and I'm afraid I'll be losing that aspect of it. I'm playing through a Maz and I really like the way that I can kick this pedal on and make it sound like a completely different amp with that kind of saggy Fender drive to it. Do I still get that when it's at the end of the chain?

Also, the new manuals are a whole lot better than the one that came with it; cheers to whoever did that! Honestly, it's my first Wampler, and I think it's just about as cool as can be.

4. Agreed

Agreed Member

You should still be able to do that, but of course added drive will be added drive before it in the signal path and push the pedal itself harder. Sometimes the added compression going into -any- pedal can lead to less dynamic range (so less responsiveness to your playing) but not in all cases and not if you're not using quite a bit of crunch before you hit the pedal.

The new manuals were a collaboration between me and jason@wamplerpedals.com, who you might know if you've ever been around our social networking sites like Facebook or if you ran into team Wampler at Winter NAMM this year. I'm glad you like them! Please feel very free to send any suggestions for improvement or clarification, etc. to jeff@wamplerpedals.com; constructive criticism to help make them more useful for our users is one hundred percent welcome. (Props are too :rotflmao)

5. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

When "stacking" pedals the last pedal in line sets the tone. Don't worry so much about specific gain-staging as getting the overall EQ you want when you have more than one OD on at a time. So, make the OD that has the overall sound you want last, and use the other to boost it....done! :D

6. Class5

Class5 Member

Thanks for the link to the updated manual. It's much better than the one supplied with my unit.

7. Agreed

Agreed Member

Do I get to pun on my own username? 'Cause, you know, ... agreed. Gain staging is sincerely important in the studio and when you're at the "finalizing" stage of your sound, but while you're working out what sounds good, you're sort of doing the groundwork of gain staging anyway. When you record, if a tracking/mixing engineer tells you it might sound better a different way, give their suggestion a chance, but in general, trust your ears and have fun with it. The pedal you want to most shape the frequencies definitely needs to come last, though.

Good to see you around, Mr. Barber :JAM Hope all is very well for you, man.

8. miklet

miklet Member

Hi,
    I'm interested in the preamp functionality of the Wampler Black 65. I wonder how it would work with an external speaker simulation compared to the Tech 21 and AMT stuffs (for direct recording or direct to mixer). Does anyone have tried this configuration ?
    Thanks !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  9. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Depends which pedal voicing you want to stand out most. The last pedal makes the final decision on tone, from my experience, and the rest of them go based on the best stacking order. I wanted to put my Lovepedal Les Lius last, but it destroyed the tone of anything stacked with it, so it goes first.

10. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

I also recommend using the B65 last in your drive chain. It is a great amp-like tone shaper at the end of your signal that responds well to other dirt going into it. I personally use a Timmy into my B65 and it works great for giving the cranked blackface fender sound.

11. miklet

miklet Member

Yes, the idea is to put the Black 65 with OD pedals before and modulation pedals after, and then go to a speaker simulator like a Palmer Junction, AMT Chameleon, ADA GCS-2, Torpedo CAB, ...
    The point is that I'm not sure the Black 65 would be able to totally replace a preamp pedal (like a Tech 21 Blonde or an AMT F1) ?

12. Agreed

Agreed Member

I've had mixed-to-positive results using it like that; it's got effective enough tone shaping that depending on what you're going for from it, it might be able to do it. It is not explicitly designed for that, however, aimed more at either letting you get BF tone from a Tweed/blonde/BF amp while keeping volume under control, or wrangling other amps that couldn't normally do a BF clean or drive into that territory. It has a fairly "power section" clipping quality, and that makes it actually pretty good for running into a cab sim even if you're looking for drive out of it (though it works best clean in that particular application).

That said, it doesn't have any of the cab sim stuff built in and I don't want you to think that it will definitely do what you're after. I'd say if you buy it direct, keep in mind the return period, or if you get it from a dealer, just make sure they have a return policy you can work with so that if it doesn't do what you're looking for, you're solid. But some of our artists use it as part of a direct-to-board setup, so it's definitely possible :)

13. miklet

miklet Member

OK, many thanks for all these explanations !
    I live in France so I think I'll have to take the risk.
    Anyway, I also plan to use it in front of my amp and I'm sure it will work very well.
    The other configuration will be for small gigs and the idea is use a palmer PDI09, just after a Wampler B65 (always on and set to clean sound) which will be at the end of my pedalboard. I'm not worried about the clean sounds. However, I'm not sure about the sounds I could get with an OD/Distorsion pedal before the Wampler.

Thanks again !

14. JP~)

JP~) Member

I would say none of the above. Let the pedals do what they do, in which case order doesn't matter, and get a pedal specifically designed for boosting for leads and put it last.

I also like 'amp in a box, pedals and go -

1/2 gainer>Euphoria>Honeybee>>>>>Timmy

The Timmy is my boost and it goes last to take advantage of the tone shaping controls to basically cut a little bass and add a tiny amount of gain. It is transparent and will let the amp in a box pedal character through. Also, the Timmy can take a hot signal without getting muddy.

15. miklet

miklet Member

JP~) ,
    Do you use this set of pedal directly in a cab sim or in your amp ? I just want to make sure my question is clear enough [​IMG].
    Thanks !

16. miklet

miklet Member

Just a last question.
    Can you let me know if it's possible to get a totally clean sound with the B65 ?
    Many thanks

17. Agreed

Agreed Member

Depends on input level to some degree. If someone is just driving the crap out of it, it's possible that even the lowest gain setting will not be totally clean. But you'd have to be running a REALLY hot setup to get that kind of behavior. It runs clean as can be for me when the gain's set very low, basically just a great tone-shaper kind of thing going on. I use it at the end of my signal chain, in that capacity. I run it into amp input, however, not a board, I know I've said that before but I just want to be totally clear what I'm promising vs. what I can offer as educated speculation. :beer