Barber LTD mod or BB Preamp... which one and why

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

What do you think between these two? Is it splitting hairs. Or does one have an advantage over the other?

2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I thought the BB was a little fuller more complete sounding. Both VERY good pedals and in the same ball park. Buy 'em both and turn the other one.

3. Jam119

Jam119 Member

May I Suggest the LTD.SR w/ Mod Board? for $50.00 more of an investment, you get a broader pallet to work with... Adds a Note Shape Trim that increases/decresses how much bass pushes the note (great for adding that throaty neck position tone some go after... Adds a mid control that has a very misical wide range to it... A fizz control that takes away that "fizzy" trebley high end... and a four position switch board that handles an (1) increased OD that is very touch sensitive (2) &(3) are compression and Sym modes to +/-... and (4) is the Fizz Control on/off.

The pedal is incredible as I compare it to my OCD V.3, Keeley Modded Blues Driver 2 set for lower OD to name a few for comparison... I set the bass and note shape trim at 75% with the switches for (1) Higher gain mode and (2) & (3) compression/Sym turned off... With the Volume boosted just above unity and the drive set to taste, the pedal is very Thick and Wide Opened and the notes just explode with a heavy pick attack but clean up and chime with lighter dynamics on your right hand... With a good sounding strat, BF style amp pushing some air and slightly set for break up, the pedal will do the SRV thing too well... It's become my always on pedal I run into a Klon set for volume boost and it stacks well/very quitely with othe OD's... IMHO - there's alot of value with the tones one can coax out of this box...

Good luck!

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

How does it (silver with mod) sound different than the Barber LTD with the mod board?

Is the BB preamp a fatter sound, same gain?

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I don't have a BB, But I have LTDv1 mod and SR mod and am getting a silver soon. I can't imagine a BB to be as tweakable as these units. You can pour on the bass, scoop or saturate mids, adjust treble and presence. I think there might be more gain on the BB though. If thats what your after...Mod a Direct drive. I did! Killer leads with thick chunk. Or dial it down for some sweet breakup. And no, I don't work for him.

6. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Xotic BB has more gain on tap than the barber LTD. The LTD silver has less mids than the LTD, and the SR has even less mids (very flat). But the differences are subtle. The BB is also pretty transparent. I believe the BB is a tad more compressed and focused than the LTD's which are more open. The BB has better eq, in fact the BB has active bass and high eq controls. The barbers are passive filter type eqs, I think.

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

There's no comparison .. they are two totally different sounding pedals

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have an LTD on the emporia-