Barber LTD Questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by srslots, Feb 23, 2009.

1. srslots

srslots Member

I know these questions have been asked before, and I have actually read almost every thread on here about the differences between the LTD models.

That being said, I am ready to pull the trigger on one and cant make the final decision! I want to outline my set up and get feedback on if I should get the LTD or the LTD SR. Right now I am leaning towards the SR...

I am playing a 50th anniversary stratocaster (ash body, maple neck, great 54 pickups - balanced guitar) into a Carr Rambler.

My pedal chain now goes like this:

Strat -- TU2 -- RMC3 -- Box of Rock -- OCD V.4 -- Micro POG -- Volume Pedal -- Original Ibanez AD9 -- Rambler

I am thinking of putting the LTD after the OCD. This way I can use it alone as a boost, or cranked for a warm light OD. I use the OCD for my heavy stuff, and think I can use the LTD as well to boost the OCD when I have solos.

So....SR or Regular LTD? :cool:

2. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

Well I have both. I use the LTD SR for the "warm light OD" rhythm tone. I use the original LTD for the "boost the OCD when I have solos" tone. The flat mids of the SR are suited to the rhythm tone that I need and the fatter mids of the original help add some meat to the solos.

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have the LTD V2 which I really like it actually has a nice fat tone and its not overly mid heavy, I use it with Humbuckers I bet it would soung nice and full with single coils. I had the SR when it first came out and liked it but still prefer the LTD V2!

4. drolling

drolling Member

Is V2 the silver one? That's the one I've got. Great overdrive, with lots of trim pots under the hood for those who like to tweak.

I'd like to hear a shoot-out featuring all versions of the LTD. How many are there now? At least 4 counting the mod board, no??

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

No the Silver LTD has a slightly flatter mids compared the the V2, I've always liked the Silver LTD but its now discontinued. I believe the differences between all the LTD's is the Tone stack!

6. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

do you use the LP or HP on your OCD? if LP, get an LTD; if HP, get an SR. Different flavors, if you know what i mean.

7. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well if it helps you out at all,im using fralin 54's.I have the original LTD and find it is great for making a strat sound bigger without adding to much mids.As i see it the new V2 of the black LTD has a slightly adjusted top end and slightly adjusted mid section.

I would also suggest adding the MOD board as that will let you control the mids etc. and let you really decide with great detail what you want the pedal to do (in your case either boost or light drive)
    I love my LTD for just what your saying and mine is unmodded and the old black one,so you should be over equipted (in a good way) with a new one and mod board.

8. srslots

srslots Member

I use the HP setting with the drive around 2-4 oclock, so pretty high gain settings. I havent been using the drive on the BOR that much since I like the OCD more, but I have been using the clean boost on the BOR a bunch.

9. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

LTD v1 mod? Got one in the emporium F/S.

10. RMC519

RMC519 Supporting Member

I have my LTD regular on pretty much all the time. Cleans up great with guitar volume!

11. srslots

srslots Member

plan-x what would be the difference between the V1 with the mod, versus the V2 with/without the mod?

12. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Hmmm, V2 was created to address lower mids, bigger bass and expanded highs. These are probably small value changes of resistors, capacitors etc. So the V2 should edge out the V1 for overall tone, but are basically the same animal. The mod is for having control over things that are un-adustable on the stock unit. In therory a V1 mod should out perform a stock V2 for sound variations. As for a v2 modded, It should be superior to a V1 modded just because it's a V2, the latest model. Which I've never heard the v2. But as a SR mod owner, plus a DD mod, and a whole bunch of Barbers for that matter, the variations are slight and fall in the same general tone camp. Here's a link to the Barber shop forum where more info can be gleaned on the differences. You don't have to be a member to do a search either.

http://www.tpngear.com/forum/index.php?showforum=8

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009