Barber LTD SR or Durham Sex Drive???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by C-Dawg, Apr 28, 2008.

1. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

I'm contemplating getting a nice slightly gritty boost. I have been considering a Klon, but I just don't think I can justify it right now. So, between these two, which would be the better booster? I play anything from bluesy stuff to hard rock. I've heard pluses and minuses for both but would like some input as to which has more appeal for this use. Thanks!

2. cber1517

cber1517 Member

The Sex Drive will work great if your amp is already breaking up and it will push it to more gain. I personally wanted more dirt and grit from a pedal then the amp and did not find the compression settings that useful. Also, the tone knob on mine did nothing until the last centimeter it seemed. I know guys love it but I just wasn't for me. That being said, you may want to check out the Zia Drive from Durham. I think it sounds great from the clips and may have the grit you are looking for. I am using a Lovepedal Super 6 for a light break up and really love it so far. Sounds awesome with a compressor after it too!

:BEER

3. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I have both the Sex Drive and original Black LTD pedal. Very different pedals but both are great. To me the Sex Drive is a super transparent boost that somehow seems to just make your guitar seem more there. I would say if you are running your amp pretty clean the Barber LTD will be a better choice as it really has it's own character.

4. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Good stuff. Thanks for the suggestions. The thing is, I'm lookin' for something that is kinda "Klon-like" without being a Klon. I know, I know, I should just get the Klon, but I'm tryin' to not shell out the cash. So would the Sex Drive get me closer to that category?

5. cochese

I've only played a Klon once with an amp that wasn't loud enough to sound good and the Klon didn't help much. Maybe just my bad experience. The best pedal I've come across that sounds like my amp turned up when I'm running it at lower levels is the Barber Tone Pump but that is more money than the Sex Drive and LTD but it does give you 2 sounds.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

It sounds the Barber LTD VR.2 is you're looking for (not the SR) ...

7. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Thanks for all the responses!

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The Sex Drive is probably the best boost I have ever heard - adds so much clarity and presence - its all about making your tone "there". I would sell my BJFE SBEQ before I got rid of my Sex Drive.

It can get you some grit if you turn the gain all the way up.

9. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I use Barber Ltd v 1 for this and it rocks my socks off. Make amps bigger but also focused on the mighty musical mids that define guitars.

(Why folks want to make their guitars hog bandwidth fromh keys is beyond me. :BITCHGuitar and vocals is all about mids.)

But fo what you describe, Dave Barber understands and has delivered. It is my "more" pedal and is on about 50-75% of the time for my rehearsals and low volume gigs I (less at higher voluems, though, because I can crank amp).

10. sepultura

sepultura Member

I have a black Barber LTD (v1 probably, got it some years ago) and it is the best low gain OD I have ever used. I use it in series with another slightly high gain OD for versatility. It truly rocks.

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

:BEER

Strat -> Barber Ltd v1 -> Gaspedal Dumb Bell -> Heritage Colonial at last rehearsal was very cool and recorded great. I switched in the DB for my old Barber Burn Unit because BU had become noisy for some reason. Ltd on all time, DB right channel on most time, adjust with Strat volume to clean up more when wanted and engaged DB left channel for solo boost. Really great.

Very happy.

DS

12. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Decisions, decisions...

13. cochese

It really depends on how you are running your Mark III. If you run it at a real low to medium volume and very clean the LTD or Tone Pump would probably be your best bet. As I recall the Mark III does get pretty decent output stage distortion if you run it in the 15 watt class A mode. The 100 watt Mesa power section really needs to be opened up to get output stage distortion and is usually too loud for most situations unless you use some type of attenuator.

14. aldurham

aldurham Member

From what you are describing, I would say that the Sex Drive wont fulfill your needs. The Sex Drive is a clean boost. IF your amp is at the edge of breakup already then the Sex Drive will get you there. I will say that as CBER1517 suggested, my new Zia Drive will get you there though. I'll be glad to offer you a 100% money back guarantee on that promise.:AOK

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I use the Sex Drive a lot, and I like it, but it's not an overdrive as Alan stated above. I'd try the Zia Drive, the clips sound killa. I might have to pick one up myself!

16. aberrant

aberrant Member

I'd have to say Barber LTD on this. I like the Sex Drive, but it's just too clean for me. I like more of a garage style sound. The Sex Drive just makes everything so Hi Fi that it puts me off a little.