barber ltd sr?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blazzrock, Mar 7, 2008.

1. blazzrock

blazzrock Supporting Member

i currently have an xotic rc booster and a landgraff dynamic overdrive. i am thinking about adding a barber ltd sr to my board for another flavor. can anyone compare these three pedals? how much gain does the ltd sr have? is it a smooth gain? other drives i have also used are - soldano gto, b.k. butler tube driver, and xotic bb and ac for other points of reference.

2. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I cant compare it tothe RC Booster but I did have an LDO for a minute... The LDO to me was a glorified TS style drive with a fizzy top end... The SR is a flatter EQ with a truer high end thats more transparent. Maxing the SR for OD is a nice medium OD sound but the beauty to me is its lo gain OD for rythem... May I suggest the $50 upgrade to the Mod Board... Do a search on the LTD.SR Mod Board - It's got killer trims and Dip Switches... Great additon to what you already have...

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I can compare the RC & the Barber LTD. Both are pretty flat-EQ pedals, with the SR being a bit flatter, IMHO. Now, the RC has bass, treble, and gain & vol, while the SR has gain & vol, and HIGHLY ACTIVE tone pot, plus a bass & presence trimpot inside.

Long story short, the LTD SR is a better OD, and as clean boosts they are both very good. I think the SR sounds and more importantly FEELS more organic than the RC. I sold my RC and don't miss it yet, while I'll keep the SR around, even if I'm not using it... because it's such an organic, flat-EQ'd Boost/OD, I WILL use it somewhere...eventually. I kept the RC around for a year for the same reaon, but sold it when I got the SR. I like the SR better.

Both are really good pedals, just personal preference....based mostly on FEEL, not tone. Altho I like the tone of the LTD better too. The RC is a bit "scooped" while the SR is more flat. You CAN dial the treble & bass back on the RC to get rid of the "scooped"-ness, but for me, the LTD simply sounds & FEELS better.

4. blazzrock

does the ltd sr have more gain than the rc?

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Yes. LTD SR is capable of more gain than RC. And a smoother gain, at that.

6. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Dave Barber offers several versions of the LTD currently. Search around to find which best suits you. If you like the TS sort of sound, the SR is pretty far away from that. Dave's orignal Black LTD is the warmest and has the most mids. Depends on if you're looking for simular or contrasting for stacking... No matter which one you get, you'll be pleased with the customer service and the price...

7. blazzrock

thanks for the info guys. i pulled the trigger on an sr yesterday. sounds like it should be what i'm looking for.:AOK

8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I'm really digging the LTD SR. It sounds great with my Maz 18. I keep the tone knob way down; almost all the way counter clockwise. It's very transparent though, reminds me a bit of the Timmy.

9. ramjet2007

ramjet2007 Member

I have the Silver LTD - the old discontinued one. I will never sell it, and my friend who sold it to me wants to buy it back!

Not sure about the SR, but heard there are subtle differences. IMHO though, the Silver LTD does all the boost, to low OD gain, to mid OD I need. I literally have it on all the time and just adjust the gain and tone pots to suit, and cascade other OD and distortion pedals before it and after it for a wide range of gain textures.

Barber OD's rock! Very organic, smooth, and full of tone.

10. JeffE

JeffE Member

Anybody know if Mr. Barber will convert an LTD to an LTD SR?

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Considering the cost, I'de just sell one and buy the other.

12. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I doubt it. But you can add a mod board to that LTD for $60. I have one, the stock pedal seems very pale in comparison. You'll get a really nice pedal with tone variations, clipping, gain and more. I lower the mids, increase the bass and presence. Pushing up the note shape and switching to higher gain gives an added fullness. These settings will make an amp sound great. There is some color still there, but it's minimized. Now I have Boost, low-med gainer that is fantastic.

13. JeffE

JeffE Member

Cool! Thanks for the info - I'll give the mod board a whirl.

14. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

Reviving this one... The LTD SR is very versatile. I've used it as a lead tone, when/where I can crank up. It also stacks beautifully with a tube screamer when using the LTD SR as a clean boost or Rhythm tone. For a "flat" pedal I do tend to keep the tone control rolled down quite a lot. It's an awesome pedal though, no doubt.