• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Barber LTD: tell me about it

abnerfm

Hi, guys
I'm using a Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet and was wondering about the Barber LTD... any comments? I like the FD's voice (like a TS derivative, I think), but maybe the Barber has more clarity? Thanks a lot.

clydes001

Depending on how your Full Drive is set, you should have less-mids with the Barber LTD. I went from a Keeley TS-9 to a Barber LTD (silver) and I really don't miss the TS-9. The LTD is harmonically rich and very dynamic. The harder you push your guitar whether by the volume knob, or pick attack, the grittier the pedal gets.

You could leave it on all the time.

Here's David Barber's description of the differences between the LTD line:

LTD V2: fattens/thickens the sound slightly, nice choice with modern guitars that have higher mass truss rods and higher mass frets, cast saddles, or just going for more of a SRV vibe without the use of .013 strings.

LTD SR: pretty much flat mids, bass and treble,I recommend these when you know you have a great sounding guitar that is balanced...just more of what you have with harmonics and sustain, David Grissom picked up the SR recently and is very happy with the balance, he called it "awesome", Ronni builds these in the custom shop.

The LTD Silver: discontinued, although I have a last run I did for the end of the year holiday special. these have a little flatter response (slight mid thickening) than the V2 and have a VERY subtle tone control for the purist.

All LTD have the same gain and harmonics, the big differences are in the tone stack and in the adjustable RIAA phono recovery tuning that we use on Barber pedals, the V2 pushes a little deeper bottom through the clipping to get a little more "husky cough" to single notes and double stops, again the V2 is going for more color and the SR is going for less color.

abnerfm

"V2 is going for more color and the SR is going for less color"...

So, the Silver model is voiced between these 2?

jpagey

The ltd does not sound like a ts.
I ahve '96 orange Fulltone Fulldrive II and a Barber 1/2 Gainer, the 2 channel ltd with mid knob that goes from flat (ish?) mids to ltd v2 mid content.

The Fulldrive II on the boost section at full gain has more gain than the 1/2 Gainer.
The 1/2 Gainer, even with mid control full up has less mids than the Fulldrive II.

Whether one replaces the other depends upon your use of single coils, speakers and gain levels.

I'd say they go together quite well.

Madison

I use the LTD SR, one of my favorite pedals ever. Probably not what you're looking for because it's very transparent. I run it in conjunction with a Klon and it delivers what I call 'big greasy tone'. All the Barber products are first class.

abnerfm

I had the Barber Direct Drive v5 and liked it, but I wanted less gain and less compression. The voice was fine to me.

jazzfromhell

I bought the regular one, tried it with my rig which is very middy. It didnt really work with the rest of the pedals so I exchanged it for a Silver LTD. Sounds toptastic! Creamy, smooth and punchy.
Love David Barbers stuff.
I also bought a Custom Cool and a Small Fry, gonna try em with my setup tomorrow. Im expecting an aural orgasm :)

the LTD will be closer to the FM toggle on your FDII

the LTD has less mids, more bass and extended highs vs a TS

the clarity is awesome with this pedal...
I have one with the mod board and it has knocked everything else off the board in its genre...

t-rey

I have a Silver LTD with some different chip in it (previous owner did it - said it made it slightly flatter response - sounds good enough I never put the stock chip in) and it will likely never leave my board. It sounds so good, and is quite versatile as well - do yourself a favor and try one.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I have a Barber 1/2 Gainer which I think has two different LTD's under the same hood. It's a great pedal in that it retains the flavor of your guitar AND your amp. It seems to give you the same tone you'd get if you cranked the amp up, except with control over the volume. Me likey.

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
I have an LTD V.2 on my board....it's not going anywhere....a superb pedal.

Humancapo

I've been using the LTD-SR since for forever and a day. It's the one pedal that will never leave my board and is always on the road with me (160,000 miles last year). Any setup is improved with the addition of this pedal, any. I've had numerous name players sit in on my rig and they always ask about the Barber. The SR version is fat, but with an openness and clarity.
Then there's David and Ronni... you could ask for nicer people to deal with.

abnerfm

Thank you all for your posts. I just want a TS style OD, but it doesn't have to be totally transparent, so I was wondering which LTD version would suit me better. I would describe the tone I want like a TS808 with more clarity, but not more gain neither more volume.

plan-x

Thank you all for your posts. I just want a TS style OD, but it doesn't have to be totally transparent, so I was wondering which LTD version would suit me better. I would describe the tone I want like a TS808 with more clarity, but not more gain neither more volume.
The LTD that fits that description the best would be the plain LTD (V2).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom