Barber LTD v2 to be used with a 50w Marshall - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JaiminhoPagina, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

I'm on the hunt for a future dirt pedal purchase when I stumble upon one of the discontinued Barber LTD v2 on a local sales site.

Price seems ok for local market. The guy is asking 500 BRL (about 190 USD or so - local prices are higher due to importation tax).

My question is... would this particular pedal work well with a 50w 1987 Plexi type amp (it has a MV)? Is it worth it?

I was considering a few other pedals too - like the Timmy (which I find used here for a little more - 520 to 600BRL) or a Barber Gain Charger (couldn't find one used at the moment. Found a shop selling it for 589 BRL)

It seems like there aren't many of those on Ebay right now. How much do they usually go for? Importation tax through postal service is 60%, so if the pedal is worth 120 USD, the total after taxes is.... 192 USD, and a bonus one to two month wait until it arrives.

Therefore, it could be easier to just buy this LTD in particular.

But since I'm totally broke, I'm thinking if it's a better idea to just wait and get a Barber Gain Charger somewhere later on. I know the GC is more versatile and is supposed to be many LTD versions in one box, but perhaps it's worth it to get this v2 if it has something different over the GC.... What's your opinion?

I basically want an OD pedal to give a bit of extra push to my Plexi style amp (I usually run it slightly breaking up). The pedal has to have nice tasty mids but with a good bass response and not too much compression. Could the LTD v2 be my ticket?

Thanks!!:aok

2. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Yes! The LTDv2 is one of my fav all time dirt pedals. It has an internal knob to dial the bass just right. Transparent ...except for a hint of push in the mids, in just the right spot. Love this pedal!

3. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I'd jump on it. The LTD is glorious.

4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I was just looking into a gain changer for my 1987 amp. Pretty much everything barber is good as far as I have heard

5. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

So far so good!
    You guys are definitely not helping with my GAS!! :nuts

Any specific info regarding LTD V2 vs. Gain Changer?

6. billyg121

The Gain Changer I believe was Dave's answer to many requests to shrink the LTD and add a bit off versatility . I've A/B'd them and def prefer the LTD. to me it was just smoother and seemed to gel with my Marshall better. Both great, I just prefer the LTD.

7. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Honestly, I'd say go for it. The Barber Ltd does everything a Tubescreamer can, but seemingly better (and friendlier). The only thing I'd take into consideration is that you stated you are playing a Marshall, where I find the TS to really shine with mid-scooped amps, such as Fenders. I've never played an overdrive like this through a Marshall, only Fenders and Voxes, the former of which sounding much better (to my ears). Something to take into consideration, as the midhump is definitely there on this voicing of overdrive.

8. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

Yes, typical case of doing just one sound very well or doing many sounds reasonably well. Interesting.
    I'm kinda dumb, so a more straight forward pedal could be more my speed. hmmm

I've heard some clips from JimB (with a Germino Club 40) and roknfnroll (Dr. Z Remedy) and I think it sounded fine with these amps.

There is also the LTD SR or Silver, but I think the slight mid hump *could* be useful, IF it's not too prominent.

I'm almost pulling the trigger at this point.... :bitch:roll

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

Forgot to mention I DO own a tubescreamer type pedal (Maxon OD808). I like it, but what bugs me is not the big mid hump, but rather the bass cut.

10. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

The Barber Ltd is on my shopping list. I'd go for any version of it to replace my Toadworks Texas Flood, which is a great TS 808 style overdrive, but I feel an upgrade would help. I'm playing a Tele into a Princeton '68 and pairing this with a Rat (Hartman LM308) and a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone, with fuzz.

If I pick one up soon I will report on it to you, and please return us the favor. :D

11. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

:eeks:eeks

Guys, I bought it. I'm so screwed!!

If I don't like it, I'm gonna blame you all! :roll:bong

Will report soon!

12. billyg121

^^^You will love it!

13. playthecray

playthecray Member

One of my favorite low gain ODs. It does not matter what amp I use with it.

14. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I bought a used Ltd today. Saw in a cage at Guitar Center. It sounds good enough to kick my Rt. 66 off, mainly cause its smaller and sounds the same.

15. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

:munch