1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Barber LTD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Jun 30, 2006.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I'm looking for a good boost/OD that'll jive with both humbuckers and single coils.....does the LTD fit this criteria?

Also, silver vs black....any opinions (taking into consideration that it has to work with both types of pickups)?

2. apd

apd Member

It works great for me with buckers and single coils. I have the black one, haven't tried the silver so I can't comment.

For the record, the single coils in my tele are Van Zandt vintage bridge with vintage plus in the neck, and the buckers in my custom tele/paul are Bare Knuckle "The Mule", so neither are really hot pickups.

I wasn't so much looking for a clean boost as I was just a very mild OD, just to add a little bit of hair to the sound.

3. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I just just put a Blk LTD on my pedalbaoard. I find it to be alot like a Marshall Bluesbreaker. Transparent and very clean sounding. I can hear the pickups through it. A very nice design and well made.

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

actually i own a few barber pedals and the blk LTD is my fave! the internal
    trimmers drove me nuts, i finally set them both at 1 oclock, and onboard@
    noonish. sounds great!

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

I've been through many OD pedals in the last few years. Though I don't own it any longer the black Barber LTD was one of my favorites! I have played the silver version and liked it as well. I did not have the opportunity to compare the two models though.

6. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Silvers more open, clearer sounding, black less treble more round in the highs, more mids, fatter sounding. I like use them both

7. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

And the guy does not charge an arm and a leg for his stuff and the build quality is top notch! A great value. Would just love to see some in smaller MXR sized boxes...

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

GuitarNorton said: "Silvers more open, clearer sounding, black less treble more round in the highs, more mids, fatter sounding. I like use them both"

+1 to this description. I have had both - both are great pedals. Caveat - if you are not into tube screamers, you will not like these pedals - if you like tubescreamers, you will love these pedals - if you think tubescreamers are just OK, you will like them better after playing these pedals.

Great tone, great price, great builder.

Peace out....

9. Sid

Sid Member

had no idea it was similar to a tubescreamer:Devil ..interesting...was looking to get myself a pedal that was and wasnt a TS clone

10. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I am sure gitpicker did not mean to imply that the LTD was a TS clone or variant, it obviously is not...I think he was just trying to say that some players use it for similar uses and it can cop SRV style sounds when needed yet with much greater dynamics and of course a unique circuit that gives much more flexibility.

Take a listen to the sound files at the Barber site which were recorded at conversation level on a dead clean amp…We take pride in our sound files being extremely accurate and uncolored by cranked amps or poor quality mics and mic pres.

11. somedude

somedude Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

A friend of mine uses a TonePress + LTD (black) setup and loves it.....it's the Santana-ish sound he gets from those two that got me looking into them. Much like the description on the Barber site, I'm one of those guys who's been using higher gain ODs with the gain on zero. I like using an OD to make the strings feel "harder" on the pick attack, but I don't like how some of them compress the tone and steal my dynamics.

Anyway, a local store has recently started carrying a few so I had the chance to A/B the black and silver. I have to agree with the comments a few posts up, the black had a very smooth sound to it with a bit less treble. If I used brighter amps and wanted a smooth lead tone I'd be all over this one. That said, as a user of rather dark/smooth sounding amps the brighter sounding silver model model fit my requirements to a "T".

After picking up the silver I ran it into my rig at full stage volume.....this pedal is really transparent. I run a stereo setup (Boogie MkIII and Orange Rocker 30) and this pedal left both amps sounding like they're supposed to, and gave me the extra punch on the pick attack that I was after.

FWIW
    Volume - 2:00
    Tone - 12:30
    Drive - 9:00

12. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I've got both the black LTD and the silver LTD. I prefer the black, it seems to have a rounder tone than the silver, a touch more midrange on tap.

However, I wouldn't say it's similar to a Tube Screamer. I've got one of those (modded, etc.), and they really are quite different. Haven't used the TS in a while - not since I've had the LTD!

I'd chime in and say the LTD can do TS-like stuff, but it's definitely a different animal.

13. Lution

Lution Member

I love my Silver LTD. Perfect into a clean amp to give just past breakup flavor and retaining your tone!

Go David B!!!!

14. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I currently own a Black LTD and I'm very impressed with how well it mates with the single coil bridge pickups in my Strats. With the gain cranked it does a great AC/DC crunch. Full, fat and rich. The character of the gain is very musical. Back way off on the gain and this thing can do modern country. The mid hump and rounded top end are just what a bridge pickup needs.

Kudos to Mr. Barber!

15. somedude

somedude Member

No, you're not missing anything.

16. Sid

Sid Member

Lolz...

To Mr.Barber,
    thanks a lot for the info,yea checked out the soundclips a million times and also the forums on TPN...hats off to you...

Would love ot hear the stacked sounds of an LTD with aDirect Drive ...should be some creamy high gain...:crazyguy

17. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

It is true, I am me...unless I have not had my morning coffee.

:cool:

18. Thazy

Thazy Member

I too have the Silver LTD. Already have a Keeley TS808 and went with the Silver because it does have a bit less mids. I really great pedal when teamed up with a Tone Press into my Twin.

19. Lution

Lution Member

That's exactly wht I do. I run my Silver LTD in front of my DDSS. They were made for each other! :drool:

20. drolling

drolling Member

Nice, hunh?

Now you've got to crack'er open and fiddle w/the trimpots;)!