Barber Small Fry Question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sqadan, Mar 30, 2008.

1. sqadan

sqadan Member

Hi all...

I just picked up a Barber Small Fry and I can't get a bad sound out of it with my Strat and my Deluxe Reverb Reissue - but when I'm using it at lower volumes with my BurstBucker 1&2 equipped Les Paul - I'm getting a lot of fizzies and weird buzzing noises... dialing down the treble does not seem to help... This only seems to be happening with the Vibrato channel and not the Normal channel.

I guess I'd like to know if you all think it's the pedal or the amp... I'm not having this issue with just the Les Paul with the amp cranked (no pedal). Would adjusting the internal trim pots help at all? Is there a good setting for the LP / Deluxe combo?

Thanks in advance!

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

3. sqadan

sqadan Member

Yes... I have not clipped the bright cap... I was afraid it would hurt the tone at higher volumes... I'm pondering having an amp tech but in a switch somewhere to take it in and out of the circuit.

I really love this pedal - I'd like to make it work with the Les Paul as well...

Wow... cool to see the manufacturer lurking on the Gear Page!

4. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I don't think you need that bright cap at all, unless you are using a dark-sounding speaker. BTW, the cap has less effect at higher volume control settings. At max. volume, the cap has not effect. Even at low volumes, you should be able to get all the highs you need (w/o the brite cap) by just turning the treble control higher (usually around 6-7 with a bright Jenson-y sounding speaker). At low volumes, a bright cap can make just about any OD pedal sound really bad.

5. sqadan

sqadan Member

Thanks for the information... I'm always a little gun shy about making modifications to my gear... But I guess this is a reversable mod... maybe I should give it a shot.

6. Slidewinder

Slidewinder Member

I only use strats with my small fry pedal and it's easily my favorite pedal, but when my buddy who uses LP's got one he had to make some adjustments on the trim pots.
    He had the same kind of fizz you're referring to but once the adjustments were made, problem solved.
    They work very well with fender amps so the amp shouldn't be a problem.