Barber Small fry V Kingsley Minstrel

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, May 6, 2016.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

anyone have/had both.....sonic overlap on a board ya think?

2. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The Small Fry was the only Barber I didn't like (I know some people like it, though). I couldn't make it a nice overdrive; it just wanted to be a distortion, and not a very amp-like one. The Kingsley stuff is always amp-like.

3. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Never played the Small Fry, but you can pry the Minstrel from my cold, dead hands. And I don't plan on dying anytime soon (knock on wood).

Abram4235 likes this.
  4. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

^ can it ( minstrel) do 70s crunch chords well?

5. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I'm not sure exactly which bands or artists you're looking to get, but in general, I would say yes, extremely. I have the original twin tube version, so the new one might be a bit different. That being said, mine can crunch very well and the EQ and three way mode switch make it very versatile.

It's without a doubt the best all around overdrive pedal I've ever had or used.

6. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I really liked the small fry, but once I got my Jouster, it was gone. For me there's just no comparison. That's not a knock on the small fry. Every dirt pedal I had/have and every one I've tried since lost its appeal to me when compared to the Jouster. To me it just feels and sounds and responds so much more natural and tube amp like. From the demos I've heard and discussions I've had, it seems like all the Kingsley pedals have that. It's just a matter of which package/features and voicing best suites your needs.

The Kingsley pedals aren't for everyone, but I think everyone should try one, because if it is for you, it will likely save you a lot of time and money chasing dirt pedals. There are a few major gear changes that have had a huge impact on me being happy and satisfied with my tone, and really, with me finding my voice on guitar, and the Jouster is a huge part of that.

Chandyland, Abram4235 and blackba like this.
  7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a Burn Unit and a Minstrel v2. I love them both. The Burn Unit set to low gain with the Dynamics cranked, into the Minstrel at low gain can be delicious. There is some overlap, but, IMO, the Minstrel is generally brighter, and has a little more dynamic range. If I was going to kick one off my pedalboard, this week it would be the Burn Unit, but last week it might have been the Minstrel.

8. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Depends on what you want them for. Recently picked up another Small Fry (had one years ago) and I'm very impressed with what I'm able to pull out of it. It's gain is inherently smooth, so great for leads and runs. It is also excellent bringing out string-to-string detail of even complex chords. It wouldn't be my choice for crunchy chords, though. Also had Minstrel at one point, but don't remember it well enough to opine beyond the fact that it's very well built and much more expensive.

9. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

is it fair to say that the small fry has a smooth singin' sustain in comparison to the Minstrel, or others for that matter?

10. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

It's fair to say that the small fry is capable of smooth singing sustain, but I believe the minstrel is as well. I can certainly get some smooth singing sustain out of my Jouster.

11. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Minstrel can get extremely smooth if you want it to. Again, the EQ and mode switch make it very versatile.

12. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Small Fry excels in smooth singing leads, seemingly effortless in fact. Keep in mind, there are 4 internal controls to help fine tune to your gear, but I've found them to be pretty much set and forget. Use the 4 externals as needed.