Barber Small Fry -- Where to place it on this Board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by darkstar11, Feb 21, 2012.

1. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Ok.. my Small Fry is "out for delivery"...

Soo.. Trying to figure out where to place it in my board.

I am thinking of removing the M9 too make room (but still use it for my gigs). I use the M9 for Delay, Chorus, EQ and Tremelo.

Also wondering if The Barber SF is going to "kick" the OCD off. (I ain't removing the Timmy... No way !).

So any thoughts on what to do ??

[​IMG]

2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I know folks love their Barber Tone Press (I'm a Barber fan w/a DD and LTD) but I'd think that the Small Fry (with its compression circuit, and Gain range) might bump off both the OCD and the Tone Press?? With the Timmy and Small Fry - you got it all covered:aok

3. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I know folks love their Barber Tone Press (I'm a Barber fan w/a DD and LTD) but I'd think that the Small Fry (with its compression circuit, and Gain range) might bump off both the OCD and the Tone Press?? With the Timmy and Small Fry - you got it all covered:aok

edit; sorry for duplicate, me stupid

4. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

I can't wait to try the Small Fry.

I dont have a ton of love for the OCD. It is nice but seems a little "brash" ..
    But I do love the Tone Press..

We'll see..

5. charless

charless Member

I would think the Small Fry would be a booster into the Timmy. I would remove the OCD in this case and place the SF in its slot.

6. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

Just for clarification: there is not a "compression circuit" in the Small Fry. The dynamics control adjust the amplitude at which harmonics are applied and how hard they are applied, this does affect overall amplitude for some sounds.

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

While the Small Fry certainly gives some compression as you crank up the OD, and the Dynamics control gives you some control over that behavior, I don't think of it as functioning as a compressor at all--certainly not for clean tones.

If you only use the Tone Press to compress higher gain lead tones, I suppose you might find that the SF is adjustable/compressed enough with the right settings to eliminate the need for that. But if you use the TP for cleanish stuff, then there's no way the SF replaces that function.

The Small Fry is obviously versatile, and works really way over a variety of gain ranges, but from what I know about Timmy's and OCD's (never having used either), it seems more likely to replace the OCD.

One option would be to use the Timmy for low gain, the Small Fry for higher gain, and then use the Timmy as a boost into the Small Fry for "more" (my SF sounds great when boosted with a treble booster or a Boss BD-2).

Actually, if it were me I'd boot the tuner and just use the one on the M9--mine seems to work well enough for gigs.

8. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Sorry, did not mean to have OP sideline one of one of your creations! mea culpa- just trying to be efficient...I better shut up while I'm behind:bonk But I do love the DD and LTD

9. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

I LOVE the Tone Press and use it for Clean tone.

For lead/solo I have been using both the OCD and Timmy stacked... OCD >> Timmy. Very nice tone and sustain.

Man..... where is that delivery truck !!!?

10. mojotele65

mojotele65 Member

I love my Small Fry as well. i put mine 1st in the chain, mainly because when i bought it my board was already "finished" and that is where i test drove it.

11. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Well.. I could remove the Tuner and place the Emma Discumbob there and then the Small Fry in it's place...

Then have the Tone Press>>SF>>OCD>>Timmy on the bottom row...

(.....Ok... going downstairs to check for "box")

12. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

UPDATE::

Small Fry arrived and I had a little while to play with it..

Lots of tone and it does seem to be smoother than the OCD.

Rehearsal tonight.....

I do like the Timmy before the Small Fry rather than after it....

Anyone have some favorite settings to try??

13. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I tend to run it with the gain around 1:00, dynamics around 9:00-10:30, tone around noon or 1:00, volume either around unity, or cranked up a bit. The latter (volume above unity) is handy if you want to be able to vary between lead and rhythm tones by working the guitar volume.

Usually have the toggle left or right, although the center position is sweet too.

Those settings give a really nice sustaining lead tone or crunchy rhythm tone that works well with humbuckers and single coils.

Don't forget the internal trimmers when you get down to really fine-tuning the sound.

14. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

Yes, and just use the M9 tuner.

15. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

OK !

Here is how I set it up..... Opted to take out the TU-2 !

I am still getting to know the Small Fry and doing two shows this weekend..
    I am going to keep all the OD's for now!

Any other suggestions of order of pedals??

So the SIGNAL Chain is Guitar>TonePress>Emma Auto Wah>OCD>Timmy>Small Fry>M9 > AMP

I use a PRS McCarty Guitar and a Modded Fender Blues Deluxe Amp

[​IMG]

16. mojotele65

mojotele65 Member

here, this is from another post, i had it saved in a text file:

The Small Fry rewards those that don't mind tweaking. I like the fact that the four internal trimmers are powerful (a small adjustment makes a noticeable difference) and the best tones are obtained when the trimmers are not set at minimum or maximum. For example, you don't need to have the bass trimmer cranked all the way up in order to get plenty of bass response.
    Here's my personal settings for getting a fat and smooth D-like OD tone:
    Internal trimmers:
    Note shape: 9:30 (about 1/4 way up) (Note: unlike the other 3 trim pots, where 12:00 points to top of enclusure, 12:00 on Note Shape points to input jack side.)
    Bass: 1:30
    Middle: 1:00
    Presence: 10:00
    Outside controls:
    Mini toggle switch: left (Burn Unit mode)
    Volume: whatever
    Treble: 10:30-12:00
    Dynamics: 2:00-3:00 (not minimum setting as per instruction sheet - that's way too compressed!)
    Drive: 11:00-2:00
    BTW, I haven't found an op amp that works better than the stock JRC4559D that comes in the Small Fry. The circuit seems to be tuned for that particular chip.

17. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Thanks mojo !

Will check the settings out.

So does anyone suggest the Timmy After the Small Fry ?

Or does it do best in front as my board shows.

18. douglas225

douglas225 Member

based on my experience with the small fry, with as little gain as you have dialed in (per your photo), you should really consider changing the dynamics setting to somewhere between one and five (for your settings, i really like closer to five).

also, i have found that unless you are kicking the gain harder (eleven or more), the switch provides very little change to the overall sound.

19. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Ok.. But the pedals were not set to any particular ... Just had finished placing pedals on board.. :)

20. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

OK !!!

Ding Ding..

I just spent some time with internal trim... dialed the SF in for my tone. It KILLS and I am happy!!

THEN ... I moved the Timmy after the SF. So I can shape the tone and goose it for Solos.

I am happy...

Anyone want to by an like New OCD V4 :)