Barber Small Fry

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluetweed, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I have had all the overdrives including most of the Barbers. I purchased used this time because I was sick of losing money selling pedals. This pedal kills and I really mean kills. It does low or high gain and is very, very amp like in some of the settings.
    You can dial in low to medium gain that is absoultely flooring me. I am very, very surprised. This was to be my last pedal and I was going to call it quits with overdrive pedals. Man this pedal is going to go down in history as one of the best!

WOW!!!!!!

2. mkg

mkg Member

It's a winner for sure. The more I use mine the more I find how useful the dynamics knob is.
    Lots of sounds in this mofo!

3. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

How would you compare it to the OCD (v1) or is it just a different type of beast?

4. muddy

muddy Member

still diggin' mine! it's SO much better AND more versatile than the ddss (which i DO like; it's just a bit redundant if you have the fry)! am i surprised? not really. david's work has been getting progressively better & better (and i did NOT like his peds, originally); it's even better than the dual burn unit. easy!

ml

5. craggan

craggan Member

is the small fry as midrange heavy as the Direct Drive?

6. Sid

Sid Member

this is interesting...

can someone give a comparison between the DDSS and the Small Fry ... I love the DDSS singing lead tone...but would prefer something else fr rhythm....

ps.soundclips anyone?:BEER

7. bluetweed

no it is not/ there are controls inside for all of that/ they are all at noon now/ I am getting such great tone with those internal settings/ maybe in the furture I will try those/ the outside settings have so much use, between the dynamic knob the the 3-way switch there is a lot of magic

Dave might not have designed this pedal for low gains, but the low and medium gains are some of the best ever !

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Great pedal, the Dynamics knob is a powerful function on that pedal!

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Good sounding pedal for sure, but not amp like to me. Very much felt and sounded like a pedal.

10. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I sure like mine. As mentioned, it's very versatile and has a lot of choice tones in it.

11. Dendog

Dendog Member

Great sounding pedal. The dynamics control is VERY useful, especially in low volume situations when it's impossible to drive the amp hard. Also, the internal trim pot 'note shape', is probably as interesting as the dynamics control. You just have to experiment with that one. Very cool. I wish it was on the top panel. For $150 (incl shipping at pedalgeek.com) this is an unbeatable value. Now I'm looking at the Barber Launch Pad.

12. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

What kind of amp did you mate your Small Fry with Lou? Did you heavily explore the three way switch and note shape controls?

Just curious about your use and application since your comments are contrary to what most players have been saying about the Small Fry, I like to collect as much specific feeback as possible.

13. bluetweed

CHECK THESE REVIEWS

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52147

14. muddy

muddy Member

hey david, the one internal trimmer i've kinda left alone is the
    "note-shaping" one; what izzit? & WHAT does it DO?

ml

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

I have the latest DD with the mod board, and it isn't midrange heavy at hardly any setting, especially compared to tubescreamers and most pedals. Maybe midrange heavy compared to an overdriven Fender or Mesa, but not much else.

I am thinking that I should have got the Small Fry though. Not because the DD is bad, but because I can get that tone out of my amp easy enough even at low volumes.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

A Bruno UG30. I spent some time comparing it to my Landgraff MO'D and it just didn't have the feel I was looking for. Sort of a "disconnectedness" compared to the Landgraff.

17. muddy

muddy Member

yeah, but the landy is basically a tubescreamer, which the fry couldn't be further from.

ml

18. mkg

mkg Member

muddy makes a good point. I think most TS-type pedals do best through an amp that's already breaking up or on the edge of it.
    The Small Fry excels through an amp that's set dead clean, so it's very useable at low, friendly volumes.
    I've found out how useful this feature is on gigs where I have to keep my 35 watt amp on volume 2 or thereabouts.

19. Dendog

Dendog Member

Agreed, 110%. Although it must be said that I'm hoping the Small Fry will perform equally as well when the amp (JTM45) can be turned up. But for low volume situations, I've never heard ANYTHING this good.

20. muddy

muddy Member

that's where the dynamics control comes into play so brilliantly. on top of which, david has included more parameters to adjust than you can shake a stick at! you see, my amp also uses eL84's, which saturate very quickly & easily, and i found it rather easy to dial back in a snappier, drier attack by adjusting the dynamics away from the ccw position. actually, the further over cw that i went, the more it sounded like the attack & dynamics of a blackface/fender. and we're talkin' loud volumes, not bedroom. personally, i'm pretty confident i could make this ped work with most valve amps. i don't see how i couldn't.

ml

btw, dendy, i've got a jtm45-based amp coming from soultone in the next few weeks, so i'll be able to tell you, 1st-hand.