BARBER TONE PRESS...degree of sustain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kidd36, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kidd36

kidd36 Member

should i consider this productfor it's sustain, or is it really a great compressor that happens to sustain a little more than most?
    i don't want an ebow, sustainiac, or a les paul...but i do want some musical 'big muff' sustain duration type of thing without much effort or anything left to chance.

thanks very much; this is a great site.

:BluesBros

2. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that the Tone Press sustains more or less than other pedal compressors. In fact, most people seem to like the Tone Press because of its Blend knob, allowing you to blend in varying amounts of uncompressed signal to help maintain clarity and dynamics.

If you're looking for Big Muff type sustain, get a Big Muff! The sustain you get from a compressor is, IMHO, much more subtle.

Good luck!

- jeff -

3. kidd36

kidd36 Member

hey, why didn't i think of that!

but really, i don't think a vintage muff is the thing, and don't believe they make worthy ones now...maybe i'm in the dark...?

anyway, thanks!

4. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

I just got a Tone Press and it seems great. Not that I think it has any more sustain than my Dod Milk Box, but it's quieter and capable of more subtle settings just like Jeff wrote above./C

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I too yes tried it for this do.
    No workee.
    Get Muff.
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Heh, heh! I wasn't trying to be too sarcastic! :)

But seriously, there are a lot of Big Muff clones on the market, some built just like the old ones. I'm not an expert on Big Muffs, but a lot of people around here are. I bet someone could recommend you a really good Muff clone that will do exactly what you want. Unless, that is, you're just looking for a ton of sustain without ANY fuzz or distortion. In that case, a compressor might be your best bet.

Or, if you want to get really crazy, Google for "Big Muff Deluxe" I used to own one of these about 15 years ago. A Big Muff AND an EH Soul Preacher compressor all in one pedal! Don't really remember what is sounded like, though.

Have fun!

- jeff -

7. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

If you want that kind of sustain from a Tone Press you're prone to feedback way too easily, just like with any ohter compressor. It's one of my all time favourite pedals, but then for lead boosts with some volume and some sustain. That's where it excels IMO.