Barber Tone Press or Diamond Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnsfore, Mar 29, 2008.

1. johnsfore

johnsfore Member

I have decided to purchase a compressor once again after having used the Keeley 2-knob unit for some time and being somewhat dissatisfied with it. I did find that it tended to color my sound and I ended up giving it to my son who loves it (hey, what's not to love - it was free!). I have been reading through many of the excellent threads here on TGP regarding compressors and have narrowed my search down to either the Barber Tone Press or the Diamond Compressor, both of which seem to get excellent reviews consistently. I have the Barber Silver LTD pedal and really love what it does in terms of a low-to-mid OD. I have no experience with Diamond products but their website is first-rate and their testimonials are strong. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks to all.

2. woude

woude Member

I have played the tone press and I own the diamond compressor. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The diamond is the most transparant compressor, it's the complete opposite of Ross type compressors. It just compresses your signal, no coloration and in a certain way, no character of itself. Very silent too, unlike the keeley. Goes from very subtle to a bit of compression, not to the ammount of the keeley. The tilt eq is the best. It can be switched out of the signal path if you don't like it, but it will give you either a super nice sparkle or it fattens up your sound, if you want. It's one of the best boosts for other pedals I've played with as well. It's not a clean boost, but it will bring the best out of any pedal after it.

3. thewex

thewex Member

I dont think you can go wrong with either. I've never owned the diamond, but have had the tone press for about a year now. Love it. Check out Harry's clips(http://www.harryj.net/compressor_shootout.htm), they are what sold me on the TP. but like i said the praise for the diamond is great as well. Which ever you get will be a great choice I think.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't return the Diamond soon enough. I love my Tone Press, it's an integral part of my sound.

5. jayn

jayn Member

Hmm...I had the exact same reaction...if you swapped the pedal names around. :)

I thought the Tone Press was too bright (very early one) and the blend feature was lost on me. If you're going to compress, compress. It's also from the Ross/Dynacomp family which I've given up on.

Love the transparency and tone control with the Diamond. Great design, great quality.

YMMV.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I went with the Tone Press. HarryJ's clips (above) say it all.

7. cheesey

cheesey Member

would harry's clips not sound good with a diamond, keeley,boss also?
    i have a bicomp and a diamond. i use the juicer side of the bicomp for effect and the diamond for compressing my signal.
    I have had several ross type compressors and always sell them aya, keeley.

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Went from a Keeley to the Tone press and am happy. Didn't like the high end roll off of the Keeley.

9. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

FWIW the 4 knob Keeley is much more versatile than the 2 knob and I cloud not use the 2 knob version...the key to less squish/tone change is to lower the Trim control to about 9 o'clock. Going up from there you get loss of high end and more squish. It's not perfect but set this way you can leave it on as an overall smoother/leveler to keep a more constant sound when using fuzz or OD in front...which is how I use it.

Have heard nothing but raves for the Diamond and that is on my very short list of pedals I still want to try before I call it a day on pedal buying. I see light at the end of the buy, try, sell, buy tunnel!

10. drolling

drolling Member

yeah. WTF's up with that?? There are some tubscreamer type pedals that feature a blend control too, and I just don't get that at all.

Having said that, DaveB makes great pedals, imo, Not a bad one in the bunch.

But I'm also a big fan of Mike & the boys at PolyBlend (diamond) systems.. 1/2 the pedals on my board come from those guys.

It does bear mentioning, tho', that the pedal's been redesigned to provide a more typical response. I've got a very early one that never gets turned off; a subtle, but integral part of my sound

11. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Don't notice any eq change in my TP.

As for the blend, well, the problem with Ross style comps is that they squish too much and alter the attack unacceptably. The TP doesn't do that.

Compression is not an all or nothing thing. Not sure why you'd think so.

12. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

funny- I just backed the gain off my MI audio Blues Pro (gain at 10:00, tone at noon) and got the exact sound I was looking for. And since I retubed, I think I have plenty of compression on board in the amp (Lonestar special with Amprexes and Raytheon in the pre-amp/ Mullard/amperex in the power.

I had a BBE orange squeeze, and I just had to jack up the comp level to 3-4 oclock to match the amp when the gain is up on the "clean channel." Which, of course, became quite noisy at that point

13. awallace

awallace Member

Hey all, just a quick note in regards to the Diamond Compressor- we did make a slight change (I wouldn't call it a redesign) in that we changed the value of the COMP pot a couple of years ago. The result is more available compression if desired- essentially the COMP control now goes to '11'...there were some players who wanted a bit more 'squash' on tap so we decided to offer a greater range via a minor component change. Like drolling, I keep the compression fairly low and leave it on pretty much all the time.

Regards,

Aimish Wallace

14. drolling

drolling Member

Hey Amish - thanks for jumping in w/the correct info & welcome to TGP!

It was here that I first got hipped to the stuff you're making, and it was a real treat to be able to go to the local mom & pop music shop that same day to pick up a MemoryLane - Nice change from sitting on a prepaid waiting list for months & months:BEER

15. 6120

6120 Member

I love the Barber tone press. It has great tone and verstility and it is built like a tank. Barber has great customer service as well.

16. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

What did you not like about the Diamond? Just curious, thx.

17. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

18. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Just picked up a used Diamond, made July 07. I'm finding it almost too subtle in that I can barely get the LED to change colors, which I gather indicates the amount of compression. At around 3 o'clock it's turning orange with humbuckers but with single coils hardly at all. I can hear it working but it's very subtle. I get just as much compression out of my tube amps.

What's more disappointing is the amount of hiss when it's on. I tried switching the filter on the inside which helped but I don't find this much noise acceptable in what's touted as a studio-quality compressor.

I also have the Barber and it's much quieter and the compression is more dramatic--more on hand to use if you want it. The fact that the Diamond seems to be under-responding based on what the LED is showing makes me wonder if mine is defective. ??

19. janek

janek Member

Conception of Tone Press is great but sound of this unit isn`t pleasant - it is bright.Analogman Bi Comp is totally transparent.Keeley is coloured in nice way .It`s warm , great for single coils.I have also Blackbox Oxygen which has many features and works fantastic but doesn`t have pleasant , transparent sound - is harsh in similar way to Barber.

20. drolling

drolling Member

I'd say it was.. Certainly wouldn't hurt to send it back & have them take a look at it.

I had a used OD pedal broken in transit that they repaired free of charge. Outstanding customer service & some of the best sounding/constructed pedals I've owned.