Barber Tone Pump EQ and Dual Unlimited - differences?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by charless, Feb 27, 2012.

1. charless

charless Member

Hi,

I currently have a Barber Tone Pump EQ which might replace my Custom Cool due to the 2-channel setup for the 2 levels of gain for rhythm playing. This slot gets boosted by a DD Super Sport for cutting leads.

I notice the TPEQ has more compression though than the CC (and LTD?) and I like really low-compression low-gain pedals for my always on drive pedal. I play into clean Fender amps, all dirt comes from the Barber pedals.

Does anyone have experience with these 2 pedals and could compare the amount of 'openness' or compression between the 2? Since, I already own the TPEQ I am wondering if the Dual Unlimited would be sort-of redundant. Also, feel free to offer any thoughts on the 1/2 Gainer as well!

Thanks!

2. charless

charless Member

37 views .. but no reply. Figured worth a bump.

Anybody want to help?

3. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

If you want a pedal with more of the gain structure of the CC along with less compression than the TonePump, I'd try the Half-Gainer.

The DualUNLTD is uncompressed, but it has a different grit type, and the bass feel is different than the 1/2 gainer. It has more distortion on tap than the CC/TP/Half Gainer.

4. charless

charless Member

Hmmm, well from your description I'm wondering then for the DualULTD, a different distortion character but uncompressed. I think I need to listen to some clips then. Also, the bass response is different? Is it tighter (my preference) or looser?

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I've had both TPEQ & Dual unLTD and a couple of LTD's also. The unLTD is also compressed with higher amounts of gain than the TPEQ. Gain and compression usually go hand in hand. The 1/2 Gainer will have less compression than the other 2 along with the least amount of gain. The CC is the best for the least amout of compression especially in crunchy mode. Very touch sensitive. All Barbers are at least a "3" on a scale 1-10 for compression.

6. charless

charless Member

Hey, I knew I could count on 78Deluxe and Plan-x! :D thanks guys!

Well, I guess if I want to go Custom Cool with 2 channels of gain its gonna be the 1/2 Gainer. I run the CC with knobs pulled out so it might take a little tweaking to get close to my base rhythm tone.

I guess then everyone agrees the 1/2 Gainer is less compressed than the TPEQ?

7. andrewruel

andrewruel Member

I'd say the 1/2 gainer is slightly less compressed that the TPEQ, but both are very open. The TPEQ has more gain on tap. The mid frequencies on the 1/2 Gainer that are increased by the mids knob are on the lower end of the mid range, while the ones on the TPEQ are on the higher end of the mid range. Because of this, I like the TPEQ better for a TS-style use (with the mids turned up). It's got a great snarl to it, where the 1/2 gainer is more smooth.

The Dual unLTD holds more low end, and the mids knob responds like the 1/2 Gainer. It has quite a bit more gain than the 1/2 Gainer, and noticably more gain than the TPEQ. Through my rig (it's on the dark side), the Dual unLTD sounded "flubby" next to the TPEQ.

So, I'd say if you're looking for TS tones, go TPEQ. If you're looking for KOT tones, go with the 1/2 Gainer. And if you're looking for almost Marshally tones (retained low end and plenty of gain), go with the Dual unLTD.

8. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

UNLTD has tighter bass than the 1/2 gainer in my opinion.

When I bought my DualUNLTD, I thought it might be a 1/2 Gainer that went to 15 (instead of 10). They were different enough that I had no problem keeping both. I get more use out of the 1/2 Gainer for my sound....but both are great pedals depending on the tone you are after.

9. charless

charless Member

It's starting to seem like the TPEQ is the right one for me because I use the pull EQ (more mids) on the Custom Cool, maybe the 1/2 Gainer and the Dual UNLTD cannot get me there. All sound good to me though really.

I do have an LTD SR w/mod PCB so assuming its the same as the 1/2 Gainer I'll run some A/B tests with it and the TPEQ, unfortunately I cannot test the Dual UNLTD in this way yet.

10. andrewruel

andrewruel Member

I believe the 1/2 Gainer is two LTD's, the Dual unLTD is two LTD SR's with more gain, and the TPEQ is it's own thing. So the LTD SR can't be used as an exact proxy for the 1/2 Gainer.

11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Not quite that simple

THe 1/2 Gainer is basucally 2 of any model LTD (the mids is adjustable to make is sound like pretty much any version)

The DualUNLTD is not really two LTD SRs with more gain. It has similar characteristics but it clearly sounds different.

12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

you are all wrong...
    Get them ALL!!!! muwahahahahahaha! ;)

And you havent even begun to discuss the internal pots and what they do...my tone pump is definitely more of a ts style tone...nasally but in a good way...my 1/2 gainer is basically two ltd's with more mid control, but not quite the ts style or gain range

I have an entire pedalboard designated to dirt because of them darn barbers...lots of great tones there:)

13. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Hey now.....I'm not disagreeing with you there....how do you think I know the differences between each one? :D

14. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Don't forget the Small fry/Burn unit.

15. lofibrian

lofibrian Supporting Member

The half gainer is low gain and can do alot of things esp @18v. But the Dual UNLTD takes off where the HG'er maxes out. It crunches and sculpts out leads better than any direct drive ive had, mainly due to the mid control. the HG'er will not saturate really and remains a open transparent drive. it starts to crunch like a old amp at higher gain.

The HG'er at 3oclock is similar to the dual unltd with the gain at 9oclock but that depends on the guitar and amp some.

they are both amazing and ill swap them out for different things. I really want a dual discrete with a LTD and unlimited side. best of both worlds.

The original direct drive i had with the tone knob down was the most compressed barber overdrive ive had...

16. andrewruel

andrewruel Member

You're right about this. I do remember now that the 1/2 Gainer with the mids turned all the way down is an LTD SR.

"The unLimiTeD is a higher gain version of the LTD SR, we add the midrange-content control to allow sweeping through the sounds of different LTD versions and slightly beyond." (From the current Barber homepage.)

17. charless

charless Member

You know, I think the TPEQ must be the most compressed of the 3 dual channel Barber ODs I looking into even though it's not as compressed as many other ODs out there.

Since I run the Custom Cool with the Snarl EQ and crunch mode (more Marshally?) I'm thinking perhaps the the Dual UNLTD might be the better option, plus I like the fact that the Dual UNLTD has tighter bass response. My major concern is how low-gain/clean can the Dual UNLTD get? Can it get where the 1/2 Gainer goes?

18. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I've owned two Dual UnLTD pedals, it was a bit aggressive sounding for my rig although it did sound very good, just hard to tame. I prefer the standard Direct Drive for those compressed rocking tones. I've never played the Tone Pump, apparently it is discontinued.

19. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I'm aware of the quote. But as someone that owns both and have played them side by side numerous times, I can tell you with 100% certainty it does not merely sound the like the same pedal with more gain.

If that was the case, you could turn the gain down on the DUALUNLTD and get the same tones as the 1/2 Gainer cranked, which isn't really the case. They do have a similar openness, but I think anyone playing them side by side will notice a difference in the bass and the grit type, even tweaking the internal pots.

I've noticed others have agreed with my observations on this, so I don't think I'm an island unto myself.

20. charless

charless Member

wAIT .. Ummmm ... I think I am confused at this point :confused:...LOL ... Plan-x mentioned that the 1/2 Gainer would be the less compressed than the Dual considering the fact that the 1/2 Gainer is a lower-gain pedal overall.