Barber Tonepress or Keeley Comp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cranknfrank, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Folks,
    Which one does the job? Which one is the most transparent (non tone altering)and which one compresses without "grabbing" or "pumping" notes? Thanks.

2. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

I've used both and prefer the Keeley for electric and the Tone Press for acoustic. The Tone Press just seems quieter with an acoustic. Can't go wrong with either one, IMO. As far as tone alteration, they both have a soft knee, particularly the Keeley. With the Keeley, the notes do seem to jump off the fretboard, which is what I like about it, but they don't feel "pumped", if that makes sense.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

You just put it perfectly, I never knew how to decribe it, because it really only sounds like it's compressing at the highest sustain settings. Everything else is very subtle. It's really a feel thing.

The Keeley my favorite pedal that no one else can even tell that I'm using. :D I usually leave it out of my set up because I find that my sound is compressed enough on it's own. I DO love it as clean boost and also with a Strat through a clean(ish) Fender amp.

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Keeley comp can be very transparent especially with the new attack knob. I am not a big compressor guy (unless I am twanging on the country when I use a fair amount) but I keep my keeley on all the time.

Just as important....Keeley is the best in the business when it comes to customer service; he may have peers but nobody surpasses his service!

5. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Tell me about the attack knob. Maybe I should send my pedal back for a little tweakage.

6. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I got the external attack knob and it allows me to use with equally great results on an acoustic, high ouput humbucker, whimpy single coils, etc. I was happy before but I am doing back flips now! Everything sounds great through it now....fingerpicking my Martin is heavenly. Initially I was very happy with single coils, happy with my old school humbuckers, but not totally impressed with my highout put hummers or acoustic; now I can dial in everything perfectly. The squish can be really fined tuned and the clarity/trasparency can be even clearer.

35 very well spent IMO.

7. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Compared them and the TonePress walked all over the Keeley imho. The Keeley also could not deal with rather hot P90s so if you are using buckers, think about it. I use the TP for funky clean, to boost low gain and to add sustain for low gain leads. The blend control is what makes this pedal shine even more.

8. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

just as an FYI with the external attack I am using it very successfully with my V2 humbuckers which are rated at 19.8K...don't get much hotter than that.

9. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

This indeed changes my comment as I played an older version. however, I still totally dig the Tonepress :D

10. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I can't say a bad word about the tonepress or Mr. Barber...excellent product and great guy.:dude