Barber Trifecta... wow! cool! nice!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imjustadrummer, May 9, 2008.

1. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

so, yes this is honeymoon reporting...
    but,

The Trifecta is one nice pedal. 3 great, usable and different tones at the flip of a switch. True bypass and all around fuzzy greatness.

I'm impressed with the distinct nature of each of the fuzz tones. Barber outlines the 1st and 3rd switch positions as higher fuzz tolerant and the center position as favoring lower fuzz amounts to push your amp into overdrive...COOL.

you essentially get wall of sound/massive sustain twice with variation on a theme and then an awesome fuzzy amp booster!

This pedal even stacks well. I tried my BBB'07 set for treble booster into the the Trifecta mid position switch with low fuzz and I love the result. It pushes the amp a little, sounds fuzzy, sustains, AND still retains string definition.
    In fact, String definition is still really well maintained with the higher gain settings/positions as well...

No more fuzzes for me right now...
    although the Frantone Sweet I demo'd next to the Trifecta was a near take home!

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I just got one and I have mixed feelings. In the muff position with the mids pulled and gain at about 2 it does a super smooth singing lead thing that I love. However, when cranked and used on chords it does this really weird phasing/flanging type sound. I used it alone and with different batteries, same sounds. I love it for leads but nothing else and I really need a muff that can handle chords without doing this. Have you noticed this with yours?

3. fazen

fazen Member

I love the sounds I'm getting out of it, but I'm not noticing any real difference between the switch positions. Do I need to keep the fuzz low to hear it?
    It's a keeper for what it does, but if I can get more out of it I would like to know how to do that best. I've only had it since Wednesday so maybe I need to tweek some more.

4. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I'm becoming more and more interested in this pedal. I've been shopping for a muff for a little while now and I checked out the sound clips on this pedal again today and was really digging the muff tone. I also really liked the jumbo and suppa bender sounds.

Anyone using one of these with a tele? I'd love to hear some user clips with single coils.

5. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

The Trifecta had a sort of "artificial-ness" that I didn't like. For natural-sounding chords *and* a great lead sound, I settled on the Skreddy Pink Flesh. The Hoof can also handle those duties, and goes a little farther in the volume category.

6. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

flanging/phasing artifact...

Phish... I haven't noticed this at all, even when sustaining big chords. I tried cranking the gain/fuzz and even turned my amp up quite loud... I only heard oscillations in the decay from strings bent out of tune?!?

regarding differences b/w the switches...
    Fuzz level does make a difference. I agree w/ Barber that the middle position sounds best when pushing your amp while keeping the fuzz level low(like 9:00).
    Overall amp volume also really helps to draw out the difference b/w the positions.
    The other difference seems to be in the feel/response of the tone b/w the switch positions.

7. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

Pro Guitar Shop Demos; Barber Trifecta Fuzz Pedal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAQ9KTW494

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I just re-read what I posted above and realized that it sounded a little more negative than I meant it to be. The Trifecta is a really cool pedal, and gives you a lot to work with. It just happened to fall into a very picky time in my life when it came to fuzz. I still recommend the Trifecta to people when it sounds like it will fit the sound they're looking for...

9. fazen

fazen Member

Thanks for the pointers. It also helped to turn the amp up a little.

10. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I like Dave's pedals and tried the settings he recommends above. While I did hear the bass tighten up a little bit, I found very little noticable differences between the three settings. Great sounding pedal, but not as versatile as I had imagined it to be. Am I missing something?

11. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

This thread explains a simple mod that makes the three modes more distinct:

http://www.tpngear.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1127

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Im too in love with my Skreddy Pink Flesh at the moment... but this pedal has been on my radar for a while now... who knows...