Barden tele pickups for jazz?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dioxic, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Does anybody have any examples of Barden Tele pickups in a jazz context? I always here about how they make great jazz pickups, but I can't find anyone actually using them in that context.

2. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I have a Two Tone in the neck and a T-Style in the bridge. If I'm playing jazz on it, I prefer the neck position and will often use the coil split. They are very clean, and I have gotten some very sweet tones out of them. But if you want to put them through their paces, these pickups will let you do a whole lot of other stuff while staying clean and punchy. I had a friend dime my amp and proceed to play hard rock and shred type stuff on my Tele. Couldn't believe it was the same guitar, but these pickups have a lot of tonal range. That being said, he heavily favored the bridge pickup for that wild romp.

3. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Sounds exciting and thanks for sharing your experiences! However, it sounds as if you're talking about the two tone humbuckers and I'm looking for feedback on just the "single coil" telecaster sized pickups, particularly the neck.

That being said if I had pickups that could go from jazz to rock all in one that'd be pretty great. I'm considering some other's but just checking out possibilities.

4. darkphader

darkphader Member

Check out "Relentless", Danny Gatton's collaboration with Joey DeFrancesco. Or "New York Stories", Gatton w/Bobby Watson, Roy Hargrove, Joshua Redman, Franck Amsallem, Charles Fambrough, and Yuron Israel.

5. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Gatton set in a blackguard build...I use them all the time. Most versatile setup I've come across.

-db

6. Speedy East

Speedy East Member

Used to play the Gatton set in a CIJ Telecaster. Jazz sounded great on this guitar through a 66 Deluxe Reverb.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

They sound too ceramic to me.

8. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Ceramic?! You just made that up, didn't you?

The Barden DG neck p/u is a beautiful thing.
    The middle position (both p/u's) with the tone rolled back a little is also a very useable tone for chord melody stuff.

9. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Thank you for pointing me to actual recordings!!! :banana

Thanks to everyone for their input. Overall it seems like these are't quite what I'm looking for. I want to be able to get a Ted Greene bell-like tone for chord melody / chordal work, but also get some bite for soloing.

From what I've heard / seen it seems like these will be good at giving bite, but not the clean bell like tone for chords.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

The difference could be that Ted used very heavy strings on the Telecaster when he made that sole record of his, if that's what you're referencing

11. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

That recording actually isn't the best reference for a couple reasons, A. His tele had two humbuckers and B. A lot of those times are done in drop D, C, and maybe even lower.

I'm more of referencing some of his "live" stuff on YouTube, but the recording to an extent as well. I think I'd be disillusioned if I thought finding magical pickups would make me play or sound like ted greene, it's just an example of what I'm looking for. Oddly enough so far I've heard rave reviews about EMG's tele set and think I might give them a try, but there's a couple other contendors.

I wanted to love the bardens, but just don't think they're for me.

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Nope ,
    Just not that sweet sounding.
    It is all the Barden pickups to my ears ,they just have that ceramic magnet treble.

13. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

You can pretty much do anything with the Bardens. Roll the volume and tone back a bit - the tone at least, and you'll have a nice jazz tone. They are very versatile pickups. Their biggest benefit is that they are noiseless. If you don't need noiseless then there's a ton of options. The Fred Stuart Blackguard pickups are great for jazz type tone.

14. 66Park

66Park Member

For jazz on a tele, I really like the Lollar Charlie Christian pickup.