"Bare Handed" ... a video of the title cut from my album in progress

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Jim Soloway, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

This is an original song that has evolved over many years. It was very much inspired by thoughts of Lenny Breau. The name "Bare Handed" came from a comment that John Knowles made to me last summer about playing finger style without a thumb pick (unlike Lenny or Chet). I hope to have a new album completed in the next month or two for which this will be the title song.

The guitar is a custom Loon that we've built for a customer. I've handed the reigns of the company over to Doug Kauer and Kauer Guitars, so this is one of the last few Soloway guitars being built here in Oregon. I was playing through my Line 6 Pod HD (the desktop unit) running a Blackface Deluxe model.

2. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Jim, that's fantastic...and what a GREAT title for your record!

Chuck

3. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Ahh that sound like Jim, and of course it sounds great..
    Looking forward to hearing this album..
    (just wait til you see the Swan i have on order from Doug, One pickup... but not where you usually place it ;) )

4. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Sounds so nice.
    One of those songs you just close your eyes halfway through and listen.

5. Jim Soloway

Thanks guys. This project is starting to be a lot of fun. And it looks like I'm going to have access to one of Ken Parker's amazing archtops for part of it, so the fun quotient is only going up from here.

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Wow, I'm intrigued by these archtops... I hope you will record it unplugged as well as plugged..
    plugged in it sound rather close to your Soloways..
    Perhaps tone IS in the hands.. ;)

7. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

8. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

Jim,
    This is superb...what beautiful sound you get out of that instrument...keep up the high level of musicianship!

9. DøøG

DøøG Member

Nice one Jim! Guitar sounds great in your hands! This is the archtop (no block), yes?

10. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

sounds great Jim! best of luck with your release.

11. Jim Soloway

Not arched, but hollow, yes. The only block is directly under the bridge. The rest of the body is just one big air chamber.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. Playing is a lot of fun these days and this rig is definitely helping a lot. It's just so easy to record that I really don't have to even think about that aspect of it. I just hit record and play. There's no added EQ or effects to mess with and the sound is closer to what I hear in my head than I've gotten with a mic'd amp.

And Anders, I'm not sure yet how I'm going to record the Parker but I will certainly give it more thought than I did on the first try. I recorded that clip right in the middle of the guitar show during NAMM in a hotel suite full of people (including at least a few who were actually playing other guitars). I just plugged it into my modeler with the basic settings that I use for my own guitar, put on a set of headphones and hit record. So if it sounded a lot like my usual sound, that would at least one of the reasons why. On the other hand, I do tend to impose my sound on pretty much anything I play, so it remains to see just how far from my basic sound I'll actually get with it.

12. DøøG

DøøG Member

Duh, yeah! I don't remember playing any archtops last year, just some that had blocks, and some not (like an archtop, but not). And that one Roger Tubeinmyhead bought, amazing piano like tones out of that thing!

13. The bear

The bear Member

Sounds really nice!

14. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Sounds Great!!!

15. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I should chime in to say that that guitar will come into my possession in two days. I have waited for a few months and anticipate a close friendship with this guitar. It is a loon with fingerstyle spacing. It also has a lutz spruce top and an ebony fingerboard.The pick ups are Di'marzio 36th anniversary.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  16. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Nice Jim, it has a good sense of drama and foreword motion.... I hope to try out a regular scale semi-hollow-body someday-maybe with a small v!

17. garyh

garyh Member

That was great Jim. Cool tune and savoury tone.