Bare Knuckle Humbuckers...any good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Timmo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Timmo

Timmo Member

Never seen any opinions on these.
    Anyone know how they compare to say Tom Holmes?
    How much are they selling for?

:)

2. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I had a Bareknuckle Mule & Stormy Monday in a PRS CU24, then moved to a Les Paul Standard. Some of the best rock humbucker tones i've ever had, quite aggressive, but very, very clear - absolutely excellent with a coil tap.

I can't compare them to Tom Holmes as i've not tried them.

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I just got a Private Stock PRS Singlecut that has VHII's in it. We'll find out tomorrow night. So far they sound pretty good.

[​IMG]

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

To me they are the #1 Pick up made today. Lots of great sounding ones......but to my ears these seem to have magic dust sprinkled on them.

They don't do Mini Hums though.......at least I can't find any. So I'm giving Sheptone Pick ups a try. He offered to build me a custom set of Mini Hums and I heard his PAF's sound as good if not better then the real thing. [​IMG]

But until I get them in my guitar I'm sticking with the Bare Knuckles as my #1. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Timmo my friend,

I hear they sound great. I haven't tried them, but I have a set of Rebel Yells waiting for me.

My friend/tech (Erik @ Lush Guitars) became a dealer of them since he does a lot of work on Steve Stevens guitars and Steve has his own signature model.(Rebel Yell)

He has tried some Strat, Tele and a few humbucker types and says
    they are real nice.

I also hear the owner(Tim is it?) is very helpful in recommending a set for your needs.

So many interesting models. "Crawlers", "Black Dog," VH II, etc... and a ton more.

I have only heard great things about them on the Forums...

Good luck on your quest!

Oh yeah, I have a set of Holmes in one of my Les Paul's and they are great as well.!!!!

6. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

Forgot to mention, Tim (Bareknuckle) is very helpful if you're looking for a particular sound. I had him custom build some pickups for a Parker Fly for me a few years back. If you spoke to him about it, he might be willing to make you some mini-buckers.

7. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I have a set of Holmes in both Sid Poole LP's and a bare knuckle in my Sid Poole designed Westone Corsair Custom. The Holmes are gods gift to pickups in my opinion! The bareknuckle are excellent and are nearly there, but getting to the same level as a Holmes is pretty tough order (although I'd love to hear it in one of the Poole LP's
    I'd say of all the pickups you can get these days, the Bareknuckle are the best I have heard and well worth the money.
    But, I'd take Holmes over them...
    I think they are about $200 a piece for Bareknuckle..

8. Ken

Ken Member

Does the Bareknuckle use short screws? I read that the long screws on sme pickups won't fit in a PRS

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

I have a bkp ceramic warpig in my strat and it sounds brutal.
    Its the quietist pickup ive ever used and doesnt feedback like others do, also it has a very clear sound and isnt fuzzy either.

10. stuagu

stuagu Member

tom holmes are fantastic, knuckles range from very good to good. you cant compare them, its not hype with the holmes humbuckers.
    think bare knuckles were better when it was a smaller producing company, with the amount of pickups they producing these days, i think the quality isnt as good as it once was... saying that tim may come on & say thats all in my head & its a load of bunkum.
    i think the best modern humbuckers are lindys but horses for courses.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My only knock is they are expensive. I was really blown away by the pricing of Sheptones Tribute PAF. I think you all need to check them out...........

12. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I'm not sure what he uses by default. When i ordered the pickups i told Tim what guitar i was planning to put them in, and what sound i was aiming for - so i assumed he just made them up for that guitar.

13. Timmo

Timmo Member

Hey Larry!
    Thanks for the info. Hope all is well.

After reading all the posts ( THANKS GUYS ) seems like my Tom Holmes are still the ones to beat.

I still may have to check out these Mules though.
    Sounds interesting.........:dude

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

They are the only replacement HBs I've tried except for a Duncan Custom Custom and they are very good, to say the least. Tim is very helpful and accomodating.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  15. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Yeah BareKnuckles are sweet, I have a Crawler in the neck and a RY in the bridge of my 54 reissue Les Paul and they fit like a glove,
    Excellent pick ups for that guitar.
    Also check out Wolftone pickups, I have a set of Marshallheads in my 60 reissue that kill. They have a more vintage vibe than the B.Ks.
    I have a set of Holmes 450/455's in a 335 but Philtone has the guitar--for a longtime!! Can't wait to hear it!!! :drool:drool:drool
    Good things come to those that wait:dude:dude:AOK:AOK

16. KTT

KTT Member

I had bare knuckle mules in my lp for the longest time,and to be honest i was always struggling with a thin tone! i took them out and put seymour 59s in,i found the SD to have a much more soild base tone and cleaned up better,more dynamics! Tim at bare Knuckle was great to deal with but the seymours are way more IMO and the BN pickups sure are alot of £/$ actaully i think they are over priced,sorry! also dont believe all you read!...actually this taught me alot ..as the BN have the most stunning reviews you can imagine...but really didnt cut it all all

17. KTT

KTT Member

Hey thats really interesting,thanks! as Shep at sheptone told me something like that:

"I think the difference you had with the SD 59's is the magnets. The Mules use alnico 4 mags which give less punch, clarity, and volume. The SD's use alnico 5 mags"

18. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

So what is Mr. Stevens using in his Suhr Modern? I know it shipped with Aldrich pups, was wondering if he kept those or dropped in the BKs.

19. jhumber

jhumber Member

I'm very pleased with the set of Cold Sweats I've just fitted into my PRS Singlecut Trem, they're much clearer and more balanced than the #6s they replaced.
    Tim, that runs BKP, is a great guy - very helpful over the phone.

20. oscar100

oscar100 Member

not bad but WCR s knock them into a cocked hat - tried various BK but replaced all with jim wagners pups