1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Bare Knuckle Mule humbuckers? Warren Haynes vibe? Experiences?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chubbywolf, May 23, 2011.

1. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

Are we to infer that the Bare Knuckle "Mule" model pickups are a GOVT Mule kinda vibe? ..... or is there another reference I am missing?Also.....any users who could give me input on their experiences with these pickups, I would appreciate it.

2. chatsworth

chatsworth Member

This I don't really understand. Haynes' Les Pauls all have burstbuckers in them, so I really don't get why you wouldn't just use those if you're shooting for his tone.

3. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

I didnt really say I was going for a Warren Haynes vibe, but that is a killer tone. Besides, from what I have read and seen, Warren switches pickups a bit, between Burstbucker, Classic 57s, and some Duncans.

4. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

I believe the Mules are BK version of a PAF. Warren doesn't use just one pick up in his Pauls iirc. He has used pearly gates, burst buckers, classic 57 Ect. Most of which are PAF derivative.

I always took the mule name to mean a workhorse. Like real PAF's. I could be totally wrong.

5. Nico.

Nico. Member

I have them and love them. I suggest you check out the BKP website for all the accurate info. These have a little more output than the other models. Not much but a little extra power. Great clarity, can do anything! I got them based on the recommendations from the winder. I asked for a do it all pickup with vintage output for one of my Lesters

6. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I recently picked up a Mule bridge from the emporium, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Yes, a hot PAF type, with all the good PAF vibe, PAF crunch, PAF touch, but it has a softer feel much like a super distortion type of pickup. It's a pretty cool pickup, I'm interested in trying in in one or two different guitars to see what it's does ... but so far I feel it's best suited for those who do play on the faster side.

7. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I have a BK Mule in the neck position of my tele and it sounds great.

The Mule is very "clean" sounding almost like a single coil, but with the fullness of a humbucker.

The one thing I really like about the mule is that even when you add gain to the signal the low notes don't "mush out".

BK Mule works for me, good stuff!

I'm thinking about trying the "piledriver" for a tele bridge...hmmmm

8. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Mule rules.
    But BB, Classic '57 are great, too.
    I wouls still put Mule on the very top.

9. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

been thinking about changing my '57s. the neck is too dark.

10. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

It's marketing. Whatever will make you associate five bucks worth of wire and magnet with whatever "vibe" that will make you part with $200+ for a set.

Apparently effective marketing in your case...

11. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Hmm. '57's? Dark?

12. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

downright muddy. no sir, don't like it.

13. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

I have BKP Mules on my 1987 Heritage H-535 and they sound superb. I describe the tone as being like warm chocolate, for what that's worth.:rotflmao

14. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

You wouldn't like the Mules then. Unless that muddiness is down to the pots or the caps sucking some of the treble away. Just a thought.:cool:

15. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

One thing I will say about the Mule, if you want to go from clean to OD to high gain in one pickup ... it's the only one I've heard that does it right. For some, that alone is worth the $200 ... regardless of value vs parts cost argument.

16. choucas09

choucas09 Member

This is an A2 Mule bridge pickup, it's only through a Garageband amp sim, but it gives an idea. This one also coil-splits without sounding thin and gives you a mahogany Tele sound. It's hard for me to imagine a better PAF.

FunkDragon.mp3

17. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

normally i would check that myself but it's a 339. not easy to access. the bridge sounds good. combined they sound good. neck alone, not so good.

18. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

If I was having the same sound issues with my Heritage I'd be in the same boat. I would say that the Mules don't have the bite of the Gibson Burstbuckers which some say are just overwound '57s (I don't know - feel free to correct me). What I did do with the neck pickup was to coil-tap it via a pull-push pot and this gave me a brighter, and lighter, tone that also sounded good in combination with the bridge.