Bare Knuckle pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TroyHamilton, Sep 7, 2008.

1. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

I don't see much talk of Bare Knuckle pickups anymore... are they still well regarded?

I bought a set of Irish Tours a few years ago and was thinking of selling them... but wasn't sure if it was worth the time/trouble. I always thought they were wonderful sounding.

Anyone have any opinions on them or advice with resale?

2. TroyHamilton

3. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I have the Zakk Wylde set in a guitar and I have the Rebel Yell bridge in another. I like them and will be keeping them.

4. Cdn Cracker

Cdn Cracker Member

I was bouncing around with the idea of trying them out. Unfortunately the market is flooded with good HBs (Lollar, WCR, etc...) and it is often hard to really get a good feel for which is better.

I have heard nothing but good things about Bare Knuckle. I think that they ought to hold a fairly reasonable re-sale value (in line with the Lollars and what not)

5. saywhat

saywhat Member

I got a set of apaches in my strat, they sound real nice, im looking for a different sound now but they are great sounding pickups.

I also bought some slightly overwound pickups for my tele, can´t remember the name of them, but i had trouble with them. Tried fitting them in the tele (it was a usa standard) but they wouldn´t fit in the cavity at all. That was pretty shocking, had to grind the edges of them off so that they would fit. Then after final installing them the neck pup wouldn´t work. Took them out and after a closer inspection, it turned out that under the tape there was a clear break in the copper wire. Soldered the wire and they worked fine. The site says they are custom made and tested before they go out, i have trouble believing that now.
    Still, they do sound great. Dammit.

6. uncle psychosis

uncle psychosis Member

I've heard nothing but good things about BK. But then again I've seen countless posts on the interweb that say "I've never tried them, but they always get good reviews" ...

7. rcl

rcl Member

Have:
    emeralds in a yamaha weddington
    nailbombs in a LP-bonamassa
    Mules in an LP-R9

Tried WCR, WB, Wolfetone, Sheptone, Fralin, SD Antiquity, Skatterbrane and a bunch of other stuff. All great stuff, but 3 of my top 4 axes have BKs-only because the Baker B3 phoenix needs three mini hums, or it would be my top 4.

8. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I've got Piledrivers in my Tele, fantastic pickups.

I think the weak dollar to sterling is why they aren't as popular on TGP where it is mainly US posters, compared to US pickup makers

9. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

To me their mules and rebel yells are maybe the best pups i´ve heard on les pauls

10. PVTele

PVTele Member

Very good, but the ones I've tried sound hot and hard compared with say their Seymour Duncan equivalents. (I'm talking about replacing Fender single-coils now - I can't speak for the HBs). If you like raunch, they'd be for you - but if you like singing and sparkle, stay with Fender, or try Seymour Duncans. Well, IMHO! ;-)

11. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have a Mule in my Ltd Viper Deluxe, and it sounds much bigger, fatter, and more articulate than my LP DC with Burstbuckers.
    It's the best sounding allround humbucker I've played with, and I've tried a lot.

Jan

12. cube

cube Member

i have nailbombs in most everything .
    bareknuckle are the best i have tried

13. DrBob

DrBob Member

I stuck a BKP 90 in my Epiphone LP Jr 57 RI, and it sounds brilliant.!

14. TroyHamilton

Sweet... thanks for all the feedback guys. I thought they sounded phenomenal as well. I am selling to make some other upgrades, but if the resale value isn't there I wasn't going to mess with it.

anyone with any insight as to what a set of Irish tours with the full BareKnuckle wired pickguard?

15. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

The best combo of BK's I've heard to date are the
    Crawler neck, super flutey and fat. Its hard to believe it's A5
    Rebel Yell bridge, perfect output and versatile.

The thing that strikes me about BK's is their ability to sound great dirty and sweet for cleans.
    I HIGHLY recommend this combination in fatter neck Les Pauls.

16. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

Agreed - they do clean up very nicely, particularly the Crawlers which are extremely versatile pickups. I have 3 sets of Crawlers and one HSH set with Holy Divers and a Slowhand. I'd recommend them to anyone.

17. TroyHamilton

Anyone have any input as to what a fair price for the set of Irish Tours with the BK pickguard/electronics would be? Probably going to post them in the emporium soon and trying to figure it out.

Looks like new they are $368. (210 GBP)

I know it's not an exact science, just looking for any suggestions. ;)

Thanks.

18. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Damn, that HSH combo sounds really cool Andrew!

19. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

They're zebras too! :)

[​IMG]

This may sound crazy, but I asked Tim to recommend a set which would get me the John Sykes sound from Whitesnake's 1987 AND a passable Knopfler tone when coil tapped in positions 2 and 4. :huh

20. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

When I was playing PRS guitars all my pups were either VHIIs or Rebel Yells - great pups. Since playing Suhrs I really like the Aldrich pups, so I haven't felt the need to change them. But if I did I would be using BKs.