1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bare Knuckle PUPs? Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oxtone, Nov 11, 2005.

1. oxtone

oxtone Member

I keep hearing really good things about Bare Knuckle pickups! Anyone use them? If so, which model(s)?

I've heard great things about the "Mule" humbucker, and the "Geoff Whitehorn" model.

Also, anyone using BN Single coil PUPS? How are they? I'm a STRAT user, so I'm curious...

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

Apparently no one on this Board uses Bare Knuckle pickups. Hard to believe...

Please chime in if you use them, and let me know what you think of them.

3. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to know what Bare Knuckles are like as well. Maybe someone with BK experience will surface before long.

4. AlexF

AlexF Member

Well, to provide some dialogue, from my experience of them, they are no better and no worse than any of the decent makers out there. A good pup is a good pup. If you are States-side, you may as well go for a Duncan/Lollar/Fralin/your choice and save yourself some money.
    Al

5. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Im looking in to buying a set of riff raff humbuckers soon. From the sound clips I've heard, these pups sound very balanced and can get great distortion. There all pretty versatial (sp?) too.

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Ask a few questions on there message boards. You'll get a lot of information on them.

6. jreardon

jreardon Member

They make some excellent pickups for Strats and Teles. Was going to put some in my Tele, but decided to sell the Tele. I met Tim at a Music show in 2004 and tried some of his pickups on a Tele. Amazing sound

I believe a UK BAM user (Quinny) has some installed in one of his guitars. Could try a post there

7. rick13

rick13 Member

Just bought a set for my strat. A Rebel yell, trilogy suites HSS setup. I will let you know how they compare to the PAF and Dual sound in my '68 LP or the pups in my PRS once the pieces all come together. They just look nasty sitting in their boxes.
    Rick

8. JB

JB Member

Once I get my Mothers Milks for my strat I'll let you know how they sound too.

9. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Doesn't Solidbody sell them? Maybe they have some in a guitar you could try out?

10. apd

apd Member

I have a set of the Mule humbuckers is my Rice custom tele, and I love them. The neck pickup sounds especially nice. I recommend sending an email to Tim Mills at BK and discuss your project and what sound you're after. Thats what I did, and Tim answered all my questions and even sent me sound samples. He talked me out of the set I was first looking at (Stormy Monday), and strongly recommended the Mule set. He sent sound clips of both, and I'm glad I listened to him :)

EDIT: You're going to get killed on the currency exchange right now. When I bought mine they came to around $285 for the set, plus a 3% fee the credit card company charged for the currency exchange. Keep in mind that the prices on the website include a 19% VAT for UK customers. Subtract that from the price in Pounds before you calculate the currency exchange. I almost had a heart attack when I compared prices, until I saw the note on the website about the VAT.

11. froglord

froglord Member

I've got a pair of Mules in my Patrick Eggle (think PRS Custom 24) and they're fabulous. While I can't compare them with the American boutique brands, to my ears they're a definite step up from Seymour Duncans or PRS pickups. Warm but clear, plenty of bite, no shrillness or mud. And yes: organic and transparent, too. :AOK

Customer service is great. If you can't find something that fits the bill, Tim will hand-wind you a custom one-off.

For UK customers, they're a great buy, but as apd said, the exchange rate is against you at the moment if you live in the US. Oh, and VAT (Value Added Tax) is 17.5%, not 19%.

The BKP forum's a friendly and informative place. Drop by and have a chat!

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/

12. Grap

Grap Member

I have a set of Stormy Mondays in my PRS Cu24 that were fitted by the original owner. Great pickups. High output, lots of presence, not at all muddy mid-heavy. They sound good in single coil mode too.

13. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

I have a VHII bridge humbucker in my Burning water Tyler, it is the best humbucker sound I have gotten in my life. The output is just right not too hot and slightly single-coilish. Perfect for the old school VH tones but it excells at other styles too and is surprisingly cool at clean tones as well.

14. vinni

vinni Member

Had the Cols Sweats.

But I had them installed in a Walnut The Paul from '78.
    Not the best combination. I sold them to a guy who installed the pups
    In a mahogany V from Dean (Timecapsule I believe)
    He really likes them!

Vinni

15. empty71

empty71 Member

I work on guitars and we have a pretty aggressive local Bareknuckle dealer so I've worked on a couple guitars with Bareknuckle pickups installed.

I've tried the Mules, Apache and Mother's Milk. They sound good but for my $$$, I'll go with Lollar, Suhr, Has-Sound or High Order anyday!!!

Just my $0.02 :)

16. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Member

Hey empty71, have you tried any of the tele pickups, either the country boy or the yardbirds? I'm thinking about switching out the pickups in my ASAT Classic and I was wondering about their tone. Thanks!

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

I'm interested in them too. Here in Europe they're not that much more expensive than Seymour Duncans for example, about 250€ + shipping costs for a set of strat pickups whereas a set of Duncans is about 190€ + shipping.

18. trancedental

trancedental Member

www.leosounds.de are another option for buyers in Europe. I've got a bridge P90 H/B size in my Sheraton (88EUR with gold cover) & it sounds great. Plenty more kinds from HB / PAF's to Fender single coils as well.

19. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I have the Zakk Wylde Set. I like them, but they are dark sounding. I had an overly bright guitar I wanted to tame and it worked great for fixing the problem. Quality seems good, no complaints. I have little boutique pup experience to compare to, but I'd buy again.

20. froglord

froglord Member

High output? Are you sure? Stormy Mondays have the lowest DC resistance of any of the Bare Knuckle humbuckers.