Bareknuckle Pickups...freakin A man.

ledzep618

I installed my first BKP recently - an Alnico V Nailbomb in the bridge of an H/S Strat. Could not be more thrilled with how it sounds. It smokes both the Dimarzio Tone Zone, Classic '57+, and array of Duncan pickups that I have rolled through. So tight, so percussive, well balanced and not muddy at all for a high output 'bucker. Will be sourcing another set of BKPs for my SG as soon as funds are right.

I can't believe I waited almost 12 years to buy my first handwound, small shop pickup. I gues I was always put off the price or the wait time or something.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Love Bare Knuckle 'buckers. Have Mules in my Les Paul and Riff Raffs in my Grosh set neck. Good stuff!

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Good stuff.

I like the Mule.

Want to try the Abraxas.

I think that they make the best pickups available on the market, all my gigging guitars have their pickups in them, my Gibson Les Pauls and my Ibanez ARZ Les Paul clones have customized Warpigs, my Gibson 335 and Ibanez 335 clones have customized Mules in them, and my Gibson Les Paul Juniors have customized P90 dogear Stockholms in them. I have not found a better built or sounding pickup anywhere, or made by anyone to date. Plus their customer service is second to none. They also have great quality pots and PIO caps, all my gigging guitars have their 550k pots, and their 22uf PIO caps in them.

Oldman

I felt the same way when I put a MCP Angle dust pickup in my H/S strat....There are some small shop winders out there doing some incredible stuff!

Barquentine

I have an Irish Tour bridge in my Strat, Rebel Yell set in my Firebird Studio and the Abraxas set in my PRS Bernie. All great but the Abraxas is my fave.

Tonelover

Silver Supporting Member
I recently fell in love with the alnico Nailbomb as well and was a big fan of the 57 Classics. Gradually putting A-Bombs in a number of my guitars.

Where do you guys order Bare Knuckle? Is there a good US dealer?

The cheapest way is directly through their website. Next to impossible to find a US dealer with a retail price that is less. It is slower however, expect a couple weeks at least.

Krausewitz

BKP is a great company with great products, but on the whole I find their offerings to be more 'rock' oriented (even their lower output pickups). Their Mules, for example, are really fat and rich.

Personally, I prefer my pickups a little on the thinner and brighter side, so i don't generally get on well with BKPs, but can vouch for their great quality. I'm not sure how expensive they are in the US, but the utter collapse of our currency should make it easier for Yanks to afford BKPs and OX4s for the foreseeable.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
I just put some Stormy Monday's in my SG and I'm floored. I'd still like to A/B with the mules or riff raff at some point

TK LP

Silver Supporting Member
I also just put a set of Black Dogs in my R8 and a set of Mules in my R9, and couldn't be more pleased. Very articulate and responsive to the volume knob. Tight , percussive, and well balanced is an accurate description, and I would add expressive.

rambleon

I installed my first BKP recently - an Alnico V Nailbomb in the bridge of an H/S Strat. Could not be more thrilled with how it sounds. It smokes both the Dimarzio Tone Zone, Classic '57+, and array of Duncan pickups that I have rolled through. So tight, so percussive, well balanced and not muddy at all for a high output 'bucker. Will be sourcing another set of BKPs for my SG as soon as funds are right.

I can't believe I waited almost 12 years to buy my first handwound, small shop pickup. I gues I was always put off the price or the wait time or something.
That's my reaction when I installed my first Bare Knuckle pickup, a Super Massive 90. Never going to need another P90. Their stuff is really worth the price.

rambleon

I recently fell in love with the alnico Nailbomb as well and was a big fan of the 57 Classics. Gradually putting A-Bombs in a number of my guitars.

The cheapest way is directly through their website. Next to impossible to find a US dealer with a retail price that is less. It is slower however, expect a couple weeks at least.
Especially now, that the USD is doing very well compared to the Pound, it's best to order direct.

Johnny21

Once I found BKPs, that's all I play and I never looked back.

Brand guitars are just a shell for me to put BKPs in, even in PRS guitars. Good thing their pick ups go for a lot of money in the aftermarket.

Where do you guys order Bare Knuckle? Is there a good US dealer?

I'm based in the same country as them so I just give them a call, they are really helpful, and if you are able to explain exactly the sort of sound that you are after they will wind pickups to your specifications, or customize existing pickups to meet your specifications. Tim and his staff are simply amazing when it comes to turning sound descriptions into an actual working pickup, and then constantantly reproducing the same sounding pickup.

Yup, best pickups on the market of the 15+ brands I've tried. The difference between Bareknuckle and Dimarzio is the same level of difference between Dimarzio and cheap import stock pups, night and day especially in terms of clarity. I have the Mule, Holy Diver, Warpig, Nailbomb, Mississippi Queen, and Nantucket pickups in my guitars. All amazing, no matter what "type" of pickup it is, these excel at everything.

MartinPiana

Silver Supporting Member
I need to sit down and figure out just how much a pair of RPRW hb sized P90s would cost door-to-door. I saw something about a 20% domestic VAT is deducted from price for US orders (at least that was my impression with a quick glance) -- anybody know if that deduction shows up when you fill out the form on their site and it gives you your total? Or do you then knock 20% off? .... I'm guessing these will be a little cheaper than the $320 or so for a similar pair of Lollars -- that sound right?

Ape Factory

Yep small winder pickups...it's a deep rabbit hole. Lots of good stuff out there including Bareknuckles. I've had three sets, Mules, VH-II's and my current set, Rebel Yells. They were all great at why they were designed to do. I really like the Rebel Yell set and I use those in my SC-58 which is my #1. Can get a bit hot but that's what the volume knob is for. The neck pickup is exceptional and single coil like through certain amps. Really great tone and response.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom