Bareknuckle Pickups?

Hey guys!

I'm back on the hunt for a bridge pickup for my two USA PRS Singlecuts. I really like the neck pickups, but I have yet to find the perfect pup for the bridge.

I'm done with Dimarzio and Duncan....they aren't bad pickups, but everyone I try always falls short in one way or another.

The last pickup I tried was the PRS Tremonti Treble...it's a high output, Alnico V pup. It's pretty close, but can be a little too compressed at times, and I'd also like the pup to be nickel covered, which the Tremonti is not.

I play through a Mesa Mark IV into a Mesa Traditional 4x12 with Mesa V30s and C90s. Love the tone overall...the amp and the cab are tweaked to perfection...I'm now looking for that final tweak with a very good pickup.

I play hard rock/ modern rock/ alternative rock....I need a fat, aggressive distortion, with punchy palm mutes, and fat chording and single note runs. Must retain clarity, a tight low end, present, but not harsh highs, and defintiely not a spikey midrange. The Mark IV is VERY mid heavy, and I do not scoop my tone, but with all the mids on the Mark IV, a pickup that is slightly scooped wouldn't necissarily hurt.

So, what pickup would you recommend for my needs? Should I be looking high output again, or a more moderate output for what I need?

More specifically, I'm looking into Bareknuckle pickups...they're expensive, but I'm willing to go with them for one good and final pickup. More specifically, the Holy Diver looks VERY interesting, and has the same Alnico V magnet as my current pup.

My first Singlecut is tuned to EADGBE amd DADGBE...what would you recommend for it?

My Second Singlecut goes to DGCFAD amd CGCFAD...what would you recommend for it?

Sorry for the novel, and thanks for the input!

PS...What is the best way of obtain bareknuckles in the US?

stuagu

bare knuckle are really good pickups, but even though theyre handmade, theyre not in the same league as holmes or khandekar paf replicas.
i use bn mules on my les paul & its always sounded good & the holmes/ khandekars on my 59 replicas. as always it depends what sort of sound your after & the bare knuckle guy will cater for that if you contact him direct.
lollars are great but VERY clean & on top of all that,i did read a review that rated lindy fralins above all those tested (including holmes) so its suck it & see time... one mans meat is another mans poison!
atb stuagu

KTT

bare knuckle are really good pickups, but even though theyre handmade, theyre not in the same league as holmes or khandekar paf replicas.
i use bn mules on my les paul & its always sounded good & the holmes/ khandekars on my 59 replicas. as always it depends what sort of sound your after & the bare knuckle guy will cater for that if you contact him direct.
lollars are great but VERY clean & on top of all that,i did read a review that rated lindy fralins above all those tested (including holmes) so its suck it & see time... one mans meat is another mans poison!
atb stuagu
I have the bare knuckle mules,im interested how much "better" the other pus you mention are? i tried most but havent found anything better than bn,would like to here more about the above thanks!

speedobreedo

Silver Supporting Member
I have Bare Knuckles in several guitars. (Stormy Monday, Rebel Yell, Irish Tour, Brown Sugar, Yardbird) Apart from some WCR's I've never found better. Send Tim an email (check out the web site) and he'll tell you exactly what you're looking for. He's a gentleman and very knowledgeable. Not a mention a helluva guitar player himself.
There's a lot of different humbuckers to choose from so it's desirable to just let him know the sound you're after.
You can't go wrong with them. Yes, they're expensive but you'll never go back!

Jason Calieri

Silver Supporting Member
EIGHT YEAR THREAD BUMP

Just wanted to mention that I just installed some Bareknuckle Riff Raff pickups and they're awesome. I'd been using Lollar Imperials for many years, and, while I really liked certain aspects of the sound, the mids just weren't doing it for me. I actually thought it was more the guitar and not the pickups, but the Bareknuckles fixed the issue. Love 'em!

I've also got their Flat 50 pickups in my Tele style guitar, and those are killer, too.

ES330

I've gone thru so many humbuckers, the ones that stayed were both Bareknuckle
VH II in the neck
Abraxas in the bridge (unique bridge with Alnico IV) magnets. Oompf with clarity.

Classic09

I've used lots of pickups: Seymour Duncan, WCR, Wolfetone, Throbak and the Bare Knuckle Mules deliver what I'm looking for in my Les Paul.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I have the bare knuckle mules,im interested how much "better" the other pus you mention are? i tried most but havent found anything better than bn,would like to here more about the above thanks!
i also think BK's are great.
But since this is TGP we will have to find out how much more expensive the other ones are and then we will know how much better they are :p

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
I've got BK Mules in my PRS SE245, sounds fantastic. I got them unpotted w/ 4-wire setup for single coil tapping. Sound great that way too.

duderanimous

Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
Had Mules in my McCarty, and they were fantabulous for that guitar.

The McCarty is long gone, replaced a USA SC245. Now I am on the pickup hunt for that one. The 57/08's just didn't do it for me, so have a set of WCR Darkburst in there now. The neck is perfect, but still waffling on the bridge. Want just that extra little "oomph". Have some Manlius HR59's on the way. Will see if that does the trick in the bridge

Trending Topics