bareknuckle rebel yell vs Suhr SSH+ Anyone?

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
From listening to lots of SS and Suhr demo's I would say the Suhrs are more HiFi sounding and the RY more mid heavy..

Brian N

Never tried the Suhr, but the Rebel Yell is absolutely my favorite bridge humbucker of all time. It kills.

Brian N

In a Strat?

tell me a bit about it, what do you like?
Mine is in a SG, I've heard them in Strats. At full, it's very punchy and full sounding. It cuts just right. Excellent for modern/alternative rock - it screams with high gain but cleans up well on clean settings. And if you roll the tone back to 7 or so, it works awesome for leads. I wouldn't recommend using it with no tone control.

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
I have both pickups, but not in the same style of guitar (The Suhr is in a Suhr Modern Pro, the Rebel Yell was in a PRS SC 245). Still, I can give you an idea of what they sound like.

The Suhr has a nice, full bottom end, solid mids, and a clear top end. In comparison the RY is a little lighter on the bottom end, stronger in the mid and upper mids, top end is about the same. Both are fantastic, just slightly different flavors. I might lean towards the Suhr in a strat just to keep things nice and fat sounding, but the RY would be cool if you dig a mid forward tone.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I have both pickups, but not in the same style of guitar (The Suhr is in a Suhr Modern Pro, the Rebel Yell was in a PRS SC 245). Still, I can give you an idea of what they sound like.

The Suhr has a nice, full bottom end, solid mids, and a clear top end. In comparison the RY is a little lighter on the bottom end, stronger in the mid and upper mids, top end is about the same. Both are fantastic, just slightly different flavors. I might lean towards the Suhr in a strat just to keep things nice and fat sounding, but the RY would be cool if you dig a mid forward tone.
Hi Matt:

Which one would you choose for palm mutes?
If you were to play some AIC tunes, which one would you choose?

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Matt:

Which one would you choose for palm mutes?
If you were to play some AIC tunes, which one would you choose?
Hmmmm....in a strat I'd lean towards the Suhr just because the low end is a little more "there." Honestly they're both really, really good pickups! In fact now I'm thinking of putting the Rebel Yell back into the PRS!

Nico.

I like the Aldrich in a Strat a lot more the the SSH+. It is nearly the same but tighter and holds it together under gain. Never weak! I had both in the same guitar. Suhr modern
The Rebell Yell I had in a Les Paul, never liked that one! It is very compressed sounding

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Aldrich in a Strat a lot more the the SSH+. It is nearly the same but tighter and holds it together under gain. Never weak! I had both in the same guitar. Suhr modern
The Rebell Yell I had in a Les Paul, never liked that one! It is very compressed sounding
i found out that in my Strat i didn't like the Aldrich very much. Sounded a bit dark.
My strat doesn't really sound like a strat, it would be more like a Suhr meets TA meets Strat. Lot's of body, thick tone.

Nico.

I understand... Keep in mind the Aldrich is just a slight overwound (10%) SSH+. So they are actually not that far off from each other. If you didn't like the Aldrich you'd probably be better off without the SSH+

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I understand... Keep in mind the Aldrich is just a slight overwound (10%) SSH+. So they are actually not that far off from each other. If you didn't like the Aldrich you'd probably be better off without the SSH+
for some reason the Aldrich i had and the SSH+ i played sounded really different as the SSH+ is a lot more open and chimey.

Flash6969

I've got the Rebel Yell in my custom shop Strat. It's amazing & really well suited to the guitar. It's my fave pickup of the last couple of years

Ape Factory

I have the Aldrich bridge and the Rebel Yell set. The Rebel Yell bridge is a bit more PAF/JB with great harmonics and note separation and less focus than the JB on mids but they still sing. They're pretty versatile and clean up with the volume quite well. The Aldrich doesn't clean up as well and is a little fatter overall, a hair warmer. Just a bit more thump and more modern sounding. I've used both in singlecuts while I'm building a superstrat. Looking at your amps, don't think you could go wrong with either. If you're playing heavier stuff, go with the Aldrich. SS's stuff tends to be more nuanced and textured and I think his pups reflect that.

Bogner

I love both pickups myself. If I had to describe the differences between them I would say the Suhr is more modern punch type of a sound with articulation through the tonal spectrum and nice punch, bottom end and clarity...no flub. Very similar is the Rebel Yell with a slight bit more vintage type vibe. It is very articulate...never harsh while being sharp. Not quite as tight but does very very well. Definitely not flubby and I think it is a tad bit more versatile on stilts and volume rolls. Both exceptional and I think they both excel in Les Paul or single cut types of guitars. I have really been liking the Steve Stevens pickups lately. I am torn at the moment on what set of pickups to put in a different guitar because both sets (as well as others) sound very very good.

Trending Topics