Barely audible Strat middle pickup...diagnosis?

Presc

As some of you may have seen in my other thread, I recently was given a Clapton strat with Lace Sensors and the TBX/mid boost circuit. The neck and bridge pickups function normally, but the middle pickup barely has any output. It's audible through an amp, but only when the knobs are dimed and even then, produces a fraction of the output of the other pickups.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? Thanks!

Lonnie00

Magnets may be weak. You can buy strong, cheap magnets at any home store. You'll need to "wave" your pickup between them a few times to bring the power level back up. Sounds stupid and I didn't believe it myself but look on youtube and you'll see what I mean. I was given a super weak CS pickup and it brought it back to life in literally 10 seconds.

keefsdad

Probably a wiring issue, or a bad solder joint, I would think. You could try squirting some contact cleaner into the switch, too.

cap10kirk

I'd check the pickup with a multimeter first, and check for any bad connections in the guitar. Hopefully it's something simple, but the pickup itself could be damaged.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
You may have to have that pickup re-magnetized. It's an easy fix for someone who knows how to do it.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You may have to have that pickup re-magnetized. It's an easy fix for someone who knows how to do it.
It's a Lace sensor. I suspect your average pup winder is not going to fix it.
First isolate the questionable pickup and then interrogate it.

Trending Topics