• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

barely breaking up/pushed amp tone - Xotic RC or AC booster?

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking at these two pedals for a "just starting to break up" tone. The RC seems like you'd have to push the gain to max, but the EQ is extremely flat [which is nice]. The AC would break up easier, and I probably wouldn't have to push the gain past 1/3 [if that much], but its does seem to have a slight "ts9" style mid hump [which I don't hate, but wouldn't prefer].

Does anyone else have deeper insight into these two for this application? Any thoughts, opinions or ideas are appreciated. thanks!~

johnh

Sorry, I can't give much advice, but AC stands for "almost clean" and RC stands for "real clean" apparently, so that might help direct you?

Last edited:

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
Your assumptions seem right on. The hump in the AC is pretty subtle, if that matters.

The RC can get a little hair, so it may also work.

I like the Bondi Del Mar or Rockett Archer Ikon for that application, personally.

lifeinsong

Sorry, I can't give much advice, but AC acts ads for "almost clean" and RC stands for "real clean" apparently, so that might help direct you?
After contacting Xotic myself several years ago in reference to the various pedal abbreviations I was told the RC stands for "Rig Conductor", AC is a reference to a Vox AC30 amplifier, and BB is a reference to a Marshall BluesBreaker amplifier. Having owned all of them previously my recommendation for a pushed tone would be the RC Booster...the AC is basically a tube screamer with less mid hump. You might also want to explore the options of either the Rockett Archer or the Archer Ikon(available through ProGuitarShop).

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I already run a Klon so the Archer [ikon or no] would be redundant - and would probably boost the mids to the point of ghosting notes.

I DID find the Barber 1/2 gainer and it looks pretty tempting too.

Lele

Both AC and RC (and BB too) have TS type circuits, but with additional active eq. The BB has also one gain stage more. The AC has asymmetrical diode clipping, so it is somehow closer to Boss SD-1. That said, I love my BB into a clean amp, and also with a more transparent od before it, od-3 in my case.

johnh

After contacting Xotic myself several years ago in reference to the various pedal abbreviations I was told the RC stands for "Rig Conductor", AC is a reference to a Vox AC30 amplifier, and BB is a reference to a Marshall BluesBreaker amplifier. Having owned all of them previously my recommendation for a pushed tone would be the RC Booster...the AC is basically a tube screamer with less mid hump. You might also want to explore the options of either the Rockett Archer or the Archer Ikon(available through ProGuitarShop).
If that's correct, then my bad. Sorry.

lifeinsong

If that's correct, then my bad. Sorry.
No problem John. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just trying to give some additional info to help the OP in his decision. I originally had similar thoughts about the abbreviations but after reaching out to Xotic it put things into a better perspective for me. I ended up buying all 3 but kept only the BB Preamp which has been a mainstay in my setup ever since.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
if your starting with a very clean amp, the RC will let you really sneak-up on, or dial in by slight amounts the perfect edge of breakup in your amp; doing that at unity gain is the best way to dial it in. And yes, you'll be using more of the gain available in the RC v.AC, but that is what the gain is there for. The AC will do that too but not in the small degree's that the RC will let you, so you kind of move there in bigger steps. The RC's a great pedal for that with humbuckers and P90's since the mid-hump is not an issue at all with that pedal.

CEFlint

I have used the RC, AC, and BB. You've got the descriptions down pretty good.

I did not like the AC due to the mid-boost. Even goosing the High and Low to try to scoop, I couldn't get the sound I wanted and wound up selling it.

I love the BB. I think it's extremely versatile and can cover clean boost up to mid-gain. If I'm only going to use one drive pedal, that's the one I usually pick.

I also like the RC very much, but use it for more of a problem solver. Boosting or taming one guitar to more closely match levels with another. And simply in front of an amp set just before crunch to boost it into crunch. VERY useful for this. Ex.: if your amp is clean at 2:30 but starting to crunch at 3:00, set it at 2:30 and put the RC's gain at about 1-2:00 and you should get some very nice tones.

The RC into the BB into the amp set above can get you a world of sounds.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I had the AC Boost for a couple of years and it was good but the mids always seemed a bit cloudy and it didn't clean up much with guitar volume changes.

The Bondi Del Mar is good and open if a bit hifi sounding. I'm still deciding if mine is a keeper.

Also you might look at the Chellee Odie and see how that sounds to you. It's fairly neutral and only $100.

-bEn r

Top Bottom