• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Barenaked Ladies fans...sad news...Steven Page leaving the band...

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
A MESSAGE FROM BARENAKED LADIES

By mutual agreement, Steven Page will be parting company with the remaining members of Barenaked Ladies. Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn, Ed Robertson, and Tyler Stewart will continue recording and touring together as Barenaked Ladies. Steven Page will pursue solo projects including theatrical opportunities while the band enters the studio in April 2009, and hits the road in the fall.

Page says "These guys are my brothers. We've grown up together over the past twenty years. I love them and wish them all the best in the future."

The band also wish Steven well in all of his endeavors. Ed Robertson says: "It's the start of a new chapter for all of us. Here's to the future!"

I love this band, have seen them live and really enjoy Steven's voice and dark songs...this will pretty much end the bands future imho.

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP
Thank God their reign of terror is over.

Kudos to them for turning a sophomoric joke into a career; now I guess we'll have to remember their musical greatness via the endless television commercials they provided the soundtrack for.

mike80

Kudos to them for turning a sophomoric joke into a career; now I guess we'll have to remember their musical greatness via the endless television commercials they provided the soundtrack for.
Way to be a dick there guy. Does momma troll know you're on her computer?

I'm not a huge fan of BNL, but I like a lot of their stuff. That sucks.

EricPeterson

:confused: Reign of Terror? Sophomoric Joke? huh, I am not sure what to say this...

Great band, it is sad that Page is leaving, His and Robertson's voice together made the sound of BNL. They are a great band and were awesome live, I am not really sure how they will continue without Page, who else could sing Old Apartment? I am very saddened by this news, honestly seeing them live is one of the best live concerts I have ever seen (and I have seen a few).

I hope the best for Page and I hope that he recover from his "drug problem" maybe they all just need a break and after Page recovers and with some time they can come back together and be as good as ever. It is hard enough to keep a band together especially for 20 years, I am hopeful that they will overcome this.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I am very saddened by this news, honestly seeing them live is one of the best live concerts I have ever seen (and I have seen a few).

Agreed on this band in concert...I saw them on the "Stunt" and "Maroon" tours...Steven's voice was HUGE...he did "Memories" from Cats and raised the roof...then he sang "Good Boy"...my God...goose bumps and a totally silient crowd as his voice filled the hall.

Hope he fights his demons and returns in full form again.

Electric I

They crapped all over my hometown, so I'm with you.

Smakutus

I saw them open for Cheap Trick on July 4th years ago. I couldn't stand them or their songs, but a lot of chubby college aged girls really dug em so they were doing something right. :AOK

Jeff

Luke

I saw them open for Cheap Trick on July 4th years ago. I couldn't stand them or their songs, but a lot of chubby college aged girls really dug em so they were doing something right. :AOK

Jeff
Connecting with their inner donut?

A440

Silver Supporting Member
bummer, they did have a good chemistry together

their latest kids CD, snacktime, is great. they nail a number of different genres very convincingly.

I think all of the guys sing, so it will be interesting to see how this develops...

mY WIFE Is a huge fan
they have some good tunes
but their music is too cutesy and slapstick...almost like a more serious and talented weird al yankovich!

James M

The articles I've read say he left because he was getting crowded out of the song writing. I think this is a great thing for Steven...growing up near Toronto, I love early BNL when he was the featured singer, but as they evolved into a more commercial band Ed got a lot more singing time, to the detriment of the band, IMO. I'm glad Steve is striking out on his own...he has a teriffic voice, and I think he'd be better off doing solo stuff. My 2 cents.

Tallhorses

It won't be the same band...and I wouldn't bank on a successful solo career. They are teh sum of their parts. Alone they would be boring. Honestly their best work is behind them Page probably recognizes this

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
It won't be the same band...and I wouldn't bank on a successful solo career. They are teh sum of their parts. Alone they would be boring. Honestly their best work is behind them Page probably recognizes this
I have Steven's solo effort "Vanity Project" from a few years ago...it's ok, but nothing like the material he wrote for BNL. I do think his dark songs are amazing "War on Drugs", "In the Car", "Call and Answer", "Off the Hook"...but he was almost always the co-writer with Ed Robertson. I miss the true gems of the early era too..."Jane", "Good Boy", "There is more to the story and I bet the July arrest has something to do with this. Wish them both well on their future ventures.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I know he's done some writing with Stephen Duffy of The Lilac Time (perhaps my favorite song writer). In fact "Call and Answer" and a few others from the album that was on were co-written between them. They seemed to bring out the best in each other. I like to see them get back together and do something!

Z_Zoquis

I don't know why some people hate this band so much. They were far FAR better than just some joke band. Sure, they wrote songs with a great sense of humour, but they had some darker stuff too - which of course nobody wanted to hear on the radio...not their fualt. But they were incredibly tight, had really phenomenal vocals and harmonys and wrote a bunch of outrageously catchy tunes. Whats wrong with them seeming like they were having a great time? :dunno I'm not a huge fan or anything - think I owned their first big CD (the one with Brian Wilson on it) back in the eighties but that's it - but I can certainly recognise and appreciate their prodigious talents...

Like many others, I figure they're about done now. Page was a pretty huge part of their sound and frankly I just can't imagine the band without him...

edit: actually, thinking about this a bit more, I really find it sorta sad whats happened to the band over the past few months. Even though as I said I'm not exactly a "fan," I've been aware of the ladies for some time. I'm canadian and they were a big name here years before they "hit" in the states. One thing I always liked about them was they seemed like a group of really good buddies who formed a band and just had a ton of fun. They seemed dis-conected from the usual boring "tales of rock eccess." Page getting arrested kinda harshed that buzz in a way. I certainly don't think it makes him "the bad guy" or anything, but it's too bad none-the-less...

Last edited:

Shine

Some people only categorize a band by what they hear on the radio.

Lots of great songs by those guys, hate to see that.

GtrWiz

My wife LOVES them and she ain't chubby! ;)

I really can't stand them and would be more than happy if they were to break up so I wouldn't have to endure any more of their shows...

I would say that Weird Al is probably more talented, one hell of an accordion player!

Trending Topics