Barge Concepts VFB-2 blend looper & feedback

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nathan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

Is it my imagintion, or does the VFB-2 look like a kick ass pedal? I just pulled the trigger on one. It's like the new Xotic X-blender minus $130 (without the eq and phase switch mind you). The feedback option is like the Tonefactor Mobius, whic has had me interested in the past too. I was researching their compressor and came accross it. Anyone else had one? Want one?

2. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

It does, and very reasonably priced too. However, I'm keeping my powder dry and waiting for their Harmonic Percolator clone ..

3. threm

threm Member

I`ve heard about mixed results regarding the Blend knob function on similar type pedals.
    A friend has a loooper pedal with the Blend knob option and it doesn`t behave like he expected (like wanting to blend in more or less of a delay). There may be phase problems etc. Maybe a buffered or active loop behaves better.

What I like about the Möbius II is that you can have the same pedals in one loop and the two switches determine how the loop operates;

"The right hand stomp switch turns the loop on or off. When it's off, signal passes from your guitar/bass/synth/keytar/harmonium/whatever straight through the pedal untouched. When it's on, the LOOP is activated."

"The left hand switch determines what the loop does. When it's off, the feedback loop is off , which means the Möbius is acting as an effects loop. When the toggle is set to on, the feedback loop is alive, and it'll take whatever comes out of the loop chain and send it back to the beginning, ad infinitum."
    [​IMG]
    http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=M%F6bius

4. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

The difficulty your friend is having with his Loooper may be an impedance issue. We had similar results with the first version of the VFB-1 - all of the connections on the VFB-2 are fully buffered. We also offered this as a free upgrade for our VFB-1 customers.

In regards to foot switching, the VFB works just like the Mobius. The right switch - Bypass - is your master on/off switch. The left switch - Feedback - allows you to switch the VFB from a traditional bypass loop to a feedback loop.

We're working on the VFB-X, an expression pedal controllable version of the VFB-2 - for those that need to adjust the blend controls on the fly.

The Mobius is a very nice little looper - definitely worth checking out if you need an extra bypass loop and are interested in experimenting with feedback looping. It seems to be well built, and Brad @ Tonefactor is good people.

5. fyler

fyler Member

i have a VFB-2 and it's a really handy tool. the clean blend knob works perfectly.
    i have a little trick where i use a volume pedal at the end of the chain of pedals in the loop. if all the pedal levels and the clean blend are adjusted correctly, i can use it to blend the direct & the loop sounds...it's kind of an expression pedal substitute.
    great pedal!

6. threm

threm Member

Thanks Barge for sorting things out!

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

Well i'm excited about getting mine, but I think you could use a TIP 3rd hand, or alternatively, wire a jack to where the blend pot is, then send a strereo cable to an expression pedal (wired the same as the blend pot). The Toneczar VFM would be like the ultimate version of a controllable looping pedal! (wich used to come in a rocker pedal if I'm not mistaken) Anyway I'll post my impressions when the VFB-2 comes in.

8. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Although that works for lots of pedals, the expression control on the VFB isn't that simple. The new design actually incorporates a new circuit board, a daughter-board, and a number of extra parts (another opamp, some optoisolators, etc).

The TIP is a possible option. We haven't tried it ourselves, but I know a couple of VFB users that have been happy with the Third Hand.

Thanks!

9. threm

threm Member

Another take on the feedback loop thang

"The level of feedback can be controlled either via the man.LEVEL control or with the onboard oscillator. The oscillator can be used to constantly modulate the generated sound to create recognizable patterns."

[​IMG]

http://www.sheepless.karoo.net/loopbomb.htm

Seems to be a UK maker.
    Check this one if you`re looking for a different trem pedal ;-)
    http://www.sheepless.karoo.net/8Bitrem.htm

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I want to hear the loop.Bomb clips, but they are just text, not linked to files!! and what is the price?

Hey, Barge Concepts, what ever happened with the ModFX units? They were all bupkiss mock-ups? I couriered sentiments between the seller and a guy here I picked one up for and sent to (his didn't do anything but light up)... they have eachother's emails, but I don't know how/if it was resolved... maybe they're collectable? (prolly not)

11. threm

threm Member

Sorry, DT, but I just found the site.

The guy lives near Hull, East Yorkshire, England.
    Prices are
    Loop.Bomb - £110 (free UK P&P)
    8bitrem - £110 (standard) £150 (deluxe)

A circuit bent Jackhammer
    Some of the sounds that can be created with this thing are truly evil - spluttering tremolo, droning notes, stuttery, splattered feedback and groaning distorted tones are rife.
    http://www.sheepless.karoo.net/custom.htm

;)

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Barge Concepts- how plausible would it be to add a switch to the proverbial VB-X that toggles the expression pedal between controlling the blend and feedback levels? I suppose it would be complicated since it would have to "remember" where the expression pedal was for each when switching to control the other.... that would be INCREDIBLY useful.... I would marry that pedal.

13. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Yeah, I had the same experience as BmoreTele. Got the units, plug them in, they passed audio, LEDs lit up, switches performed as expected, but it didn't actually effect the signal in anyway...

I found an Alesis repair depot that said they could possibly repair the units for $75 a piece, but they also told me that they'd never heard of the ModFX line...

Send an email to the seller, never heard back. I'm on vacation right now, so I haven't done much of anything else to try and get them up and runnning.

So I probably ended up wasting $60, but I'm enough of a ModFX geek that it was worth the gamble. Ce la vie.

14. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

So you want one expression pedal, and the ability to switch it so it can control either the clean or feedback blends? It might be possible, as a custom option. I'll pass the idea off to the Barge engineer...

The stock design of the VFB-X will have two expression pedal jacks, one for each of the blend controls, and a toggle for each to switch between the setting on the pot and the setting of the expression pedal.

While doing what you want as a custom box may be a possibility, it would be easier (and most likely cheaper) to just use the stock unit and two expression pedals.

If you haven't done so already, sign up for our mailing list - that way we can keep you in the loop (that's a horrible pun, but I can't seem to stop using it....) about what we're working on, as well as sales, special pricing, etc... mailinglist@bargeconcepts.com

As always, thanks for the interest and support!

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Ooh, I want one with the expression pedal inputs. See, I've got this Moog CP251 Oscillator/sampler/controller deal that I could plug into that....;)

16. g-nem

g-nem Member

Looks like some great work on the vfb-2 - I love the burr brown opamps and buffered signals- class all the way!

One suggestion- a switch to make the clean blend be an fx level- so you could use it as an aux send, and the clean signal goes straight to the output.

BTW- I've tried putting reverb and delay units in feedback loops and haven't had any success - does buffering the signal between the in and out make it work better?

17. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Thanks for the kind words!

We'll definitely keep that in mind... no idea how/when/if it would happen, but we're thinking about making an entirely modular VFB - a few jacks, a few switches, some jumpers on the PCB, and a bunch of jacks - that can be wired in any of a number of configs... feedback loop, mix send, blend bloop, bypass box, master volume contrl, etc.... It's a pipe dream, for the time being, but definitely one we're going to pursue....

Delay and, to a lesser extent, reverb are mainstays of my feedback loop setups. Arion SAD-1, DL4, DD-20, Alesis Ineko - at least one of those is always in my feedback loop. I haven't tried everything that's out there, but the only delay pedal I've ever had difficulty with in a loop is the Dano PBJ - and even that can feedback when combined with enough other pedals.

18. g-nem

g-nem Member

That's funny- I tried putting a pb&j and a dan echo in a loop and didn't have any luck. I was wondering whether buffering the signal might make the difference- but maybe I've just tried the wrong pedals!

19. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

That might be it. On it's own the PBJ doesn't always feedback - and I've read of others having similar trouble with the PBJ and other feedback loop devices (maybe something from E13?)..... The Dan Echo might have the same difficult. I can't say for sure, I only had the DanEcho for a short time, hated it, sold it off right away.

With anything, especially feedback loops, YMMV.

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

hey, I didn't know there were jacks for 2 expression pedals... awesome!