Baritone Guitar at "E Standard"

tenoratlarge

I was thinking about grabbing a Fender Blacktop Telecaster Baritone and tuning it up. I typically play in "D Standard" (whole-step), and I'm fairly certain that a baritone will tune up to that comfortably.

My question is this- could I tune it up to "E Standard" with much lighter strings if I needed to? I would assume that the string tension would be tight, but I'd love the brilliance and clarity of that. Could it be done without majorly damaging the neck?

Thanks!

Ronsonic

I look at baritone tunings and stringings, relative to a conventional scale length. The Fender is what 27" Think of that as a regular scale with one extra fret. So tuning to D is like having a regular guitar tuned to Eb so you probably run with 12s or at least 11s.

So tuning it up to E is not much different than tuning a regular guitar up to F#. Kinda stiff with the strings you use in D, just go with 009s.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, appropriate string gauge should make it no problem. If I recall, most Soloway guitars come with an extended scale length, and they're designed to be tuned to E Standard or thereabouts. It's a cool feature, IMO.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
You dont even need to drop the string gauge much. Especially if you want lots of tension and clarity.

Trending Topics