• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Baritone guitars for non-metal genres – thoughts?

Junco Partner

Kinda surprised to see no mention of Tortoise yet. These guys use baritone guitars all over the place and if you’re into post-rock jazz experimental etc you’ll probably dig it.

RBH

I have a tele parts caster set-up with a buzz bridge. It gets great synthy tones on it when I crank the tone pot down to near nothing. I've been thinking about putting a baritone neck on it for experimenting purposes. Maybe deep scallopes too. If I'm going to go exotic - why mess around. Can anyone recommend a decent baritone neck - somewhat lower cost if I'm going to hack it with scallopes?

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Mark Lettieri has a superb whole album based around baritones. It's not metal at all.

Deep: The Baritone Sessions

This is a teaser trailer for the album but you can find it on spotify or wherever you prefer.

Mark is immediately who I thought of.

Charlie Hunter is another person, though not strictly a baritone, who is playing a lower register guitar with no metal to be heard.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i used to have this album, didn't know it used baritones! interesting, may have to do some listening again!!!!!

Kinda surprised to see no mention of Tortoise yet. These guys use baritone guitars all over the place and if you’re into post-rock jazz experimental etc you’ll probably dig it.

Tritone

I have two baritones and am looking to convert another Fender into a baritone when I can get around to it with a conversion neck. I mostly use them to play indie/post rock/alternative/etc. Jason Molina is another non-metal player who used baritones in some of his early stuff. And this clip sounds incredible:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
wow, that sounds nice!!!!!!!

I adore baritone guitar and love it in non-metal ways. So much of the Americana, Roots Rock, Surf, & Duane Eddy stuff I love has baritone guitars. My favorite affordable one is the classic Danelectro Baritone but dream baritone would be a Grez Mendocino baritone.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
during Dweezil Zappa's reverb sale back in Jan, he had a bass that he turned in to a "guitar",which would be some form of a baritone, if you go to the 11min mark in this vid, he demos it:
it's a ripley bass that was converted in to a guitar, looks like this:

he used it on a song called "What it B"...which I can't seem to locate anywhere. kind of a cool guitar. the sounds with the Floyd Rose would be cool...i'm debating if i can turn my old Cort Bass into something like this....might be my next project if i can get my current project done!!!!

86runner

Silver Supporting Member
I asked myself a similar question as the OP before I commissioned Doug to make this one. There's a little bit of talking in this video as it was an Instagram takeover, but I do play it a bit, albeit poorly! I typically play with different levels of gain, but I find I don't with this guitar. I prefer it clean or just slightly pushing the amp to breakup. Even more interesting is that I prefer heavier music, but that's not what comes out when I play this guitar. The second video of RJ Ronquillo playing is the one that put me over the edge, and ultimately turned this build into a baritone. Never thought I'd like Wrecking Ball, but I do when it's played like this!

Last edited:

jrm

Love baritones! I have an acoustic baritone I picked up from a member hear years ago, and I've always wanted to add an electric. I remember there was a season where even Gibson made an LP baritone, but I've had my eyes open for a tele blacktop baritone (in copper) for a while. Tough to find.. but I love these tones:

CanuckChris

I have two baritones and am looking to convert another Fender into a baritone when I can get around to it with a conversion neck. I mostly use them to play indie/post rock/alternative/etc. Jason Molina is another non-metal player who used baritones in some of his early stuff. And this clip sounds incredible:

I remember when CME listed the FCS Brawler on their website. I downloaded pics to my computer as "inspiration for future builds". A lower priced version would be great, but this seemed to be a one-off shape and colour for Fender, or at least one that isn't commonly used. The playing demo was perfect.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had a great Jerry Jones Bari for more than 10 years, haven’t played metal on it even once. :dunno :drink

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Chicken Pickin' works great on a baritone.
So does doubling a lead or bass line (often done by the Wrecking Crew using a Fender VI)