• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Baritone guitars for non-metal genres – thoughts?

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Rick Kelly Custom baritone tele (tuned to B standard) on this track. I was going for a dream pop Cocteau Twins kind of sound so it's pretty processed. There's only clean Gretsch, bass , drums and mellotron on the track. The baritone really gets it sounding big.

romiso

Gold Supporting Member
I believe the Thomastiks will fit your Baritone, if you get a Bass string as the 6th.

I believe you will find a single flatwound Bass string and do not need to buy the full package.

:beer
Neat. Currently my "baritone" is a neck sitting in a box, but eventually it'll be joined with a body and will need strings - I'll remember this thread when that happens

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member

Ariel Posen plays baritone, very well too. Actually after a Posen binge one day i tuned my tele up Baritone style and i love it that way, great fun for slide guitar.

fishbones

I asked myself a similar question as the OP before I commissioned Doug to make this one. There's a little bit of talking in this video as it was an Instagram takeover, but I do play it a bit, albeit poorly! I typically play with different levels of gain, but I find I don't with this guitar. I prefer it clean or just slightly pushing the amp to breakup. Even more interesting is that I prefer heavier music, but that's not what comes out when I play this guitar. The second video of RJ Ronquillo playing is the one that put me over the edge, and ultimately turned this build into a baritone. Never thought I'd like Wrecking Ball, but I do when it's played like this!

GOOD LORD that Kauer sounds fantastic! great playing too :D thats kinda wat id be using it for

s2y

Don't forget about the acoustic side. Some of the modern finger style guys use baritones. I have a Kronbauer maple jumbo tuned B-b in 28.6" scale. If I had to do over, I might have gone 27" since I have small hands.

Junco Partner

i used to have this album, didn't know it used baritones! interesting, may have to do some listening again!!!!!
Yeah it isn’t immediately obvious because they sometimes play stuff in the normal guitar range, but the unusual voicings you get from playing in the mid-range of the fretboard while tuned so low are detectable here and there; I caught them live a couple times in the years shortly after this album. They did a ton of instrument-swapping, natch, but there was almost always someone on baritone git.

germs

i bought a PRS SE 277, with the intention of tuning it up to Drop-C. i'm more in the vein of hard rock.

kept it in B-b for a few weeks to get the feel of it, and i sorta liked it.

honestly, i feel like i've been making a compromise doing the 25.5 thing in Drop-C for so long. the scale length makes it work for me - plus my giant hands are a fair bit more comfortable on the frets.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
The reverend baritones such as the descent w and ra and the danelectro '66BT have always caught my eye but I'm not sure how useful they'd be.
I play stuff from experimental rock, jazz, slow core, post rock, shoe gaze but I've never been into hard rock/metal so I'm wondering how much use they'd ever have for me.

Geordie Greep from Black Midi uses a reverend descent ra which is what initially drew me to the idea of getting one. It sounds so good but I wouldn't want to buy a 'one trick pony'.

Does anyone have any good bands and albums of the genres I named above that use baritones so I can hear how they sound? :D

Thanks for the help guys
I have a baritone conversion Telecaster and a Tacoma Thunderhawk that I use clean for non-metal, tuned B to B:

Here's a side-by-side comparison with a standard scale length Telecaster:

I play a lot of covers and I typically change the key to suit my voice. I wanted an alternative to moving the lowest pitch of the guitar up with capoing--I do a lot of stuff capoed at the second and third fret on a standard tuned guitar, fingerpicking, and I wanted the option to move the frequency center of those songs down instead of always up. So, a tune that's in Bb I'd usually capo at the third fret on a standard tuned guitar and finger it in G, whereas on the baritone I can capo at the third and finger it in C. Eb would be capo'ed at the third in both cases, but fingered in C on a standard guitar and in G on a baritone, and so on.

This works best for me when I'm playing without a bassist and want to fill things out.

Last edited: