Baritone Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dosilegecko, Feb 28, 2012.

1. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Member

Are there any other luthiers besides PRS and now Fender making Baritones? Maybe a small luthier? I don't have 3 grand to spend on the Ernie Ball baritone, and Ibanez MMM-1s are hard to come by nowadays!

Anyone else still making nice baritones?

2. ddevil

ddevil Member

Fender's entry level Baritone is $550. Schecter also makes one as well in the same general pricing area.

3. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Member

I wasn't that impressed with the fender one actually

4. dunara

dunara Member

Depends what you're going to use it for. If it's clean twang you're after, the Danelectro is great. However it won't be much good for anything past mild crunch on the gain scale. In that case, Schechter might be the way to go, but more and more companies are offering baris; have a look around. Even Gibson are marketing a baritone LP Studio these days.

Here's mine; I made it myself for around £350. [​IMG]

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

My Schecter Hellcat VI gets the job done.

6. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

yep - buy a cheap tele or strat and get a Warmoth (or other) baritone neck, it'll need a bit of a setup - but it should bolt right on

gotta ask dunara - where did you get your body/neck from? I've been looking for a cheap double bound body for the same sort of project

7. telecasting

telecasting Member

Gretsch are making a pro-jet baritone in the electromatic series which looks pretty cool.

8. Twangdaddy

Twangdaddy Member

9. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

10. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I bought a used Danelectro U2 Baritone for a Benjamin. Awesome guitar. Fun to double track with.

11. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

If you can get your hands on a Jerry Jones, do it.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Yes, yes.
    MD

13. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

If you're on a budget, you can sometimes find baritone Agiles. It just depends on what's in stock at any given time, sometimes they have them and sometimes not.

http://rondomusic.com/

I have this one, I do think it needs a pickup change but otherwise, it's great.

[​IMG]

14. brian817

brian817 Member

I built a '51 Baritone with an amazing, birdseye maple neck and rosewood fretboard from Warmoth. I got the neck on ebay from someone who never built his project and it was still new with nitro on the neck.

The '51 was a loaded body, minus pickguard, from ebay for $50 and I swapped out the pickups and bridge and wiring.
    '80s Fender Strat neck pickup and a SD JB in bridge.
    Replaced the 3 way selector knob with a push/pull volume pot for the humbucker and added a tone knob and a mini switch for a selector switch.

15. ultradust

ultradust Member

I played my friend's Jerry Jones Baritone for a couple of gigs. Was really impressed not only by the quality of the construction (for a Dano-type), but also how good clean tones sounds from the lipstick tube pickups, really having the best balance of deep bass tones with a chiming upper end. Really rich and "woody", too.

I unfortunately tried it through a number of OD pedals with less success, sounding rather shrill yet flabby. More "spaghetti western" and less meatball, I figure.

16. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I haven't seen one of these for sale in ages, but if you can find one, grab it! A Dearmond Bajo Jet(I'm just using this as a chance to show the ugly beast off!:eek:)
    Tony
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  17. dunara

dunara Member

I picked it up on Ebay for £25. It's not a model of attention-to-detail when you see it close up. It's just single-bound I'm afraid, but it does have a tummy-cut. I didn't plan on a bari when I bought it, but when it arrived I noticed that it was a wee bit oversized, and I didn't have a baritone......
    I got the neck from Allparts. $200, but I had to wait about 2 months for it. They're nice enough, but they arrive with completely unfinished frets. Not a problem really, but it's another job you need to think about.

18. Jimishrine

Jimishrine Member

You can probably find a MIJ Fender in the $500 - $1000 range. My brother bought this 28" scale Jag and had it refinished in seafoam green by Pat Wilkins. I traded him a CIJ CAR Jazzmaster for it. A lot of fun, but on the twangy side, if that's what your looking for.
    [​IMG]

19. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Member

I got an Ibanez MMM-1 on ebay for a good price. Had to jump on it! One happened to pop up randomly! I REALLY like these as my guitarist has two and he let me borrow one for a week. Loved it. Way better than the PRS Mushok SE. It should come in this Friday. I'm super stoked

20. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

If you go for JJ baritones, be aware of how different the 3 p/u model is from the 2. Not a better/worse thing, but different. The 2 p/u has a middle setting I can't live without. Never budge that selector, it sounds that good. You won't get exactly that sound on the 3 p/u.

In any case, the JJ lipsticks are just the best. I've had them in regular guitars, way better on the bari. Probably those heavy strings. No OD pedals needed. Just turn it up. A very pretty overdrive sound from these p/us.
    MD