Baritone Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Julia343, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I don't know whether to put this in the guitar section or the bass section, so I'll put it here.

I'm into playing metal. I've hit a wall on a 25.5" scale in Std C especially when I go to drop Bb or drop A. The bottom end gets quite flabby. I'm already at 60s and going to a 70 is starting to seem ridiculous.

Recently my favorite store had an ESP baritone Viper I'd played around with, but not really yet into the real low tunings I put it on the back burner. It was sweet too, but alas ESP no longer makes it, and it was gone.

So suggestions here? I know nothing about these except that the scales are longer and their standard tuning is B-B'. It would be used for that chugging rhythm.

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i ended up getting a Danelectro, but that wouldn't necessarily work for you.

PRS has a Mike Mushok sig baritone in their SE line. i played one that was excellent at Rudy's Music in NYC. very highly recommended. would probably fit the bill for you.

3. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

I think most folks consider a baritone to be a guitar with up a 30" scale (27.5", 28", 30")
    that is tuned to B or A and uses a string set starting with a 0.013 for the littlest string.

fender made a Sub-sonic (strat w/bridge humbucker...mass produced. And a tele from the CS)
    that was at 27.5" scale (I believe) and used a smaller string set (11 ~ 64) Not sure what key was the recommended tuning.

I put together one like that using a 28.5" warmoth conversion neck for a Tele and used the Fender Sub-Sonic string set (not offered anymore) I tune it to C (4 half steps below E)
    The smaller-than-true-baritone string set allows for more normal guitar feeling/string bending.

Love it. Same old licks take on a whole new meaning/sound/result.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

My bandmate just picked up a Fender Jaguar baritone. He said it was 27 in scale, B on the bottom, and it plays very nicely. Not for band use, but he has to have one of nearly everything.

5. ghoti

ghoti Member

6. Julia343

Julia343 Member

All set necks here, so no Warmoth conversion possible. Thanks for these suggestions. if there are more, keep them coming.

7. AjayTele

AjayTele Member

Fender CIJ Baritone Special. Plays beautifully, B-B tuning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

!! That's what I played!!
    Very nice indeed.

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I don't think they're being made any more, but try to check out a TV Jones (really a Gretsch) Spectra-Sonic C-Melody baritone. As the name implies, it's tuned to C so you can get that big grand piano type baritone sound.

EDIT:
    I had originally read your post without contributing, but came back later after remembering the TV Jones, but I had forgotten you were looking for a metal baritone. So, my recommendation is probably null and void.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  10. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Here'smine, but not really suited to metal....

Tony
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]