1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Bartlett Guitars: Anyone Have Any Insights???

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by magnus02, May 22, 2011.

1. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I just came across these...

http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/body.html

and... I'm obsessed...

I have some cash coming in soon and am REALLY considering ordering one. I've always wanted a good '59 copy and though Gil Yaron was the best out there, but these pictures are killing me... does anyone have any experiences with these or care to share their opinions? I'm no expert on the various clone builders so I'm not sure if there is someone doing a better job out there, but these are the best looking I've seen...

No affiliation yada yada yada, just wondering if I'm missing someone better or if these are as legit as I think they look...

Fire away...

:munch

2. wemedge

wemedge Member

They're close to my neck of the woods (but I have no personal experience with them). A bunch of people have finished or in-progress Bartlett kits over at My Les Paul forum, if you want to check there. The person from Bartlett posts there too. I checked them out because I was considering their kit.

wemedge

3. bluesforstevie

bluesforstevie Member

Have you checked out Gil Yaron's? Between Tom and Gil, you can't go wrong...but Gil makes ALL the parts too. Besides being a gifted luthier, he actually fabricates his own hardware and plastic!!! So...Gil is numero uno for an LP replica if you ask me. I wish I had the loot, I'd already have one and be playing every damned day with one of those bad boys!!!!

4. anyone

anyone Member

Not saying anything other than "interesting choice of name..."
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/194271-1959-les-paul-build-75.html#post2471726

5. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Haha...

Well, my actual name is Steve and I live in New York... but I wish my real name was Magnus

So yea, not a covert ad here

6. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Member

A really interesting topic!! I'd love to hear your thoughts too guys!!

7. goodasaf

goodasaf Member

As far as i can tell the bartlett has a wrong non symatrical body,
    Maybe its my eyes

8. magnus02

magnus02 Member

From what I understand he has taken measurements off multiple real '59 lp's and has very detailed plans from them. I am fairly positive these are identical although I can't verify. Pictures can do weird things though...

9. goodasaf

goodasaf Member

well, its either the pics, my eyes or his measurements abilities but the guitar seems wrong

10. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Member

Hmmm good question. Where does GY base his plans by the way? Are they from accurate measurements of real bursts too which he himself had the chance to measure?

11. magnus02

magnus02 Member

According to Gil's website and Destroy All Guitars he got his from measuring a '59 LP. According to Bartlett's he has measured a few and still has access to them...

I would assume both of these builder's have the dimensions down. You can buy Bartlett's plans for $8 or something very low like that although I have no use since I couldn't even carve a toothpick...

12. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

Tom is the real deal.

I have had great dealings with him, and look forward to many more.
    Attention to detail and Bartlett woodworking go hand in hand.

13. Icegator8

Icegator8 Member

You aren't going to find a better LP kit that Bartlett. Gil Yaron's are great too but they aren't any better.

14. narad

narad Member

I also find some of Gil's finishes to look weird. I know he makes all the parts and if I wanted the exact build followed as closely as an original I'd turn to Gil, but does the finish here look off to anyone else?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. RyanC.

RyanC. Supporting Member

In what way specifically? Everyone knows Gils photos aren't nearly as good as his guitars haha, and both of the pics you've shown are done with a flash. I think Tom builds a great LP as well, would love to A/B one against Gil's...

FWIW, I'm very happy with the finish on my Yaron '59er.

[​IMG]

16. narad

narad Member

Don't know how to describe it specifically - the color just looks off. Could it be flash? Sure. And I've followed Gil's builds, and I agree that some of his finish work is also just as one would expect, but that one just doesn't sit with me. Personally if I'm in the $8k or up range, I'm looking for Dave Johnson-level finishes.

17. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I'm not crazy about those Yaron finishes but as to whether or not they are accurate to a real '59 I have no idea because I haven't seen enough to know... only one real one in person and I have the Beauty of the Burst book en route...

18. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

Both Tom Bartlett's faded and unfaded finishes are amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stu Cats likes this.
  19. RyanC.

RyanC. Supporting Member

fwiw BOTB won't be of any help colorwise, they're very overly yellow in that book.

Great book nonetheless!

randalp3000 likes this.
  20. RyanC.

RyanC. Supporting Member

No doubt - those are both stunners!