Base Contour Control of 4 knob Tele?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by RockDC, Jun 1, 2015.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

I have a 72' Telecaster Custom RI. It has the wide range in the neck and a normal tele single in the back. I tried putting 500k pots in the neck position but ultimately I'd like to be able to roll off some bass. So here's what I was thinking, but I have no idea how to wire it:

- Neck and Bridge Volume work as normal.
    - Neck Tone is a Bass Contour Control to roll off bass ONLY for the neck.
    - Bridge Tone is a normal Tone ONLY for the bridge.

Is this possible and can any of you help me out by drawing a diagram?

[​IMG]

2. pgoon

pgoon Member

great idea... :aok

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

I saw this online... So for normal operation I'd be looking at doing Anticlockwise. Then everything else should look the same on wiring right?

5. RockDC

RockDC Member

So I have a 4 knob... can someone tell me if this wiring diagram will give me bass contour without effecting the bridge pickup? Also will the neck pickup not be effected by the tone knob?[​IMG]

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The diagram above gives a master treble and bass cut knobs for both pickups as the tones/modifiers are after the switch and connected to each other before hitting the jack. You need to connect the respective tone to it's volume before the switch.
    You would have to wire the bass cut to the neck volume (like the diagram I posted above-the 'socket tip' would go to the switch input) and then the treble cut to the bridge volume (standard 1 pickup style wiring) and send the signal outs of those two circuits to the switch's input. The switch's output then connects directly to the output jack.
    I wish I had a diagram, or knew how to diagram this with out drawing it free hand, as it would be illegible.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  7. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Use the anticlockwise wiring for the neck pickup , then this for the bridge pickup, but instead of the output from the volume knob going to a jack (socket), send each circuit to it's side of the switch. Then have the single output of the switch go to the output jack.
    [​IMG]

8. RockDC

RockDC Member

Bigtone, Thanks for the help!

9. RockDC

RockDC Member

Does this look right?

This is the original wiring:
    [​IMG]
    This is the Bass Contour or (High pass) mod:
    [​IMG]

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

That looks correct! Compared to the original wiring, it's just replacing the neck tone control with the bass cut control shown above. The switch was already the last thing before the jack. Easy peasy!
    Here's a diagram found for the stock wiring. Your drawing looks correct and grasp of the project is spot on. There will most likely be some interaction of the tones when using both pickups together, but they will be independent individually.
    Good luck and happy modding!

[​IMG]

11. NoahL

NoahL Member

bigtone is right. I asked our estimable forum-mate Jef Bardsley this exact question a while ago. I wanted a dedicated bass contour on the bridge to make it snappier, and the regular treble contour on the neck, the opposite of what the OP wants but same concept. Here's what Jef said about the middle position in this situation:

"The tone (treble) control will affect both pickups. The bass control will work only on the bridge pickup as a bass control, but it will also affect the neck pickup as a tone control as now there's a path to ground through the bridge pickup. Since the bridge pickup is an inductor, it acts as more of a midrange control. I find it produces some (subtle) interesting sounds, even though it may not act as expected. And [this setup] makes the three positions sound different. If you follow the S-500 approach [master bass and treble contours], then the differences between the positions are minimized with both controls in use because you're rolling off the differences."

I never did try this, but I've wired some 4-pot guitars with master treble and bass and I like it because when I'm in the middle position, it's nice to roll off bass reliably on both pickups to get a better tone for funky stuff. But contrary to Rock DC's scheme, I go straight from the pickup to the respective contour pot so that the pot always sees all of the input from the pickup and it's not conditioned by the volume pot's setting. Honestly, though, I don't even know if what I just said is scientifically accurate, and I've never A/B'd. It's just something I read that makes fuzzy-logic sense. Maybe a true circuit guy in here can tell me if I'm right, or if you'd need Eric Johnson ears to tell the difference.