base plate for bridge pup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by srslots, Dec 28, 2009.

1. srslots

srslots Member

I tried doing a quick search but didnt find what i was looking for...

What does adding a base plate to a bridge pickup do?

2. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Fattens it up a bit.

3. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

Callaham describes it as boosting the mids and bass. I'm getting ready to install a baseplate, but I was wondering, does anyone know if you can take a baseplate off once you're glued it to the pup?

4. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

If you are talking about a strat pickup... you shouldn't be gluing anything.

Generally a baseplate will come to you dipped in wax so it's just a matter of pushing the baseplate onto the bottom of the pickup and then using heat from a soldering iron of appropriate wattage to flow the wax a bit. That along with the magnetic coupling to the pole pieces will secure it. Removing it just requires popping it off or remelting to soften the wax a bit.

5. guzman

guzman Member

I recall Jason Lollar saying that it doesn't change anything, or at least not enough to be noticeable.

6. dkals

dkals Member

Where can you buy a bass plate besides Callaham. Callham minimum order is $25.00 and the bass plate runs $8.75. I also don't feel like spending $10.00 to ship an $8.75 part.

7. geetarman

geetarman Supporting Member

Try Acme Guitarworks.

8. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Bill Lawrence would disagree.

http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-bridge-base-plate-materials/

10. guzman

guzman Member

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Frankly, the better the pickup to begin with, the less you need a base plate.

Baseplates are left off certain pickups to:

1) Save money;

2) Make the pickup a better choice for whole-hog high gain, distortion heavy players.

I think the base plate helps most on cheap bridge pickups (plastic, not fibre) like those on MIM Classic 50's and 60's Teles and Strats, Tex Mexes, Highway One bridge pickups - especially when played clean or with minimal distortion.

I like an adhesive like Shoe Goo, that will insulate the plate from the pole pieces and damp out squeal under most circumstances. You can then remove the base if you want a heavier or lighter guage baseplate, or if you wanna return the guitar to stock when you go to sell it.

12. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

The callaham baseplat I have is just a metal baseplate with painters tape on one side and the directions say to use a bead of silicon adhesive and attach the baseplate to the bridge pickup tape side down... Does this sound wrong to anyone?

13. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I've had base plates on Fralin blues specials and vintage hots, and on a Music Man Silhouette Special, and they sounded fine. However, I also think something can be lost with them in some cases. On significantly hotter bridge pickups which are wired to the lower tone control, I just don't need 'em, nor want 'em.

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Just trying to provide some references and not just hearsay. :dunno

15. srslots

srslots Member

Great info guys, thanks. I happen to love my bridge pup in my 50th anniversary standard strat...but was curious what the plate was. Thanks again.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Not at all. My technique is evolved directly from Mr. Callaham; plus I checked out the goo that Mr. Lawrence pots his L-200s and Keystone Deluxe Tele neck pups (and many others). Wax is a little inadequate for my tastes.

Did I hear someone just say Bill Lawrence's article is hearsay? ????

One thing I would have known to do if I had re-read Bill's stuff again is, do not perch a Tele Keystone bridge pup ( G E Smith style application ) on a piece of foam in the middle, then tighten down the 3 fasteners on the plate into the rout in the body. The base plate is thin, hardened aluminum and if I had been thinking at all, I'd have not done it. You betcha the thing squealed at high volume. Bill called me up and suggested I treat the plate as a diaphragm or drumhead.
    I felt real dumb - because I was dumb! Support the pickup from below at the three mount holes or use a regular Tele bridge plate.

17. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

Thanks Boris... And no, no one said Bill Lawrence's article was hearsay. He said he wanted to provide a reference, in this case Bill's article, instead of hearsay, being the posters own opinion.

18. guzman

guzman Member

Sorry, I should've said that it's written on his website somewhere in the FAQ section.

Here's what he says:

From Jason Lollar's website FAQ.

19. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

Ah well my bad, I thought I knew what you meant haha. but i was on the right track.

20. drolling

drolling Member

An interesting read so far.. - Boris, is your base plate really a thin strip of aluminum? I love the tone of aluminum as much as the next guy (Bigsby! Travis Bean!..etc.) but the base plate I've got's a thick piece of steel.

And it sure did make a difference to the sound of a Fralin Vintage Hot I've got in the bridge of my strat.

It was my understanding that adding all that metal would beef up the tone, make it sound more like my tele, and to my ear, that's exactly what it does. I spend a lot more time on that p-up position since I added the plate.

A cheap, simple & easily reversable mod. I give it a :aok