Baseball rules question...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Marz, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Marz

Marz Member

The setup:
    Bottom of 2nd, two outs, runner on third. Batter swings and misses third strike
    that is dropped and heads for first. Runner on third breaks for home and is tagged
    out by the catcher.

Question:
    Who leads off the bottom of the 3rd?

This happened in a local high school game and the batter that was at the plate
    for the dropped third strike in the second inning led off for the team in the third.

Was this the correct call?

2. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I believe that is correct, as the batter never made an out.

3. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

yes.

like ^^ he said, batter wasent technically out until the play completes on his end.

the 3rd out was made at home not at first

EDIT I sceen an inside the park HR that way back in the mid 70s. catcher miss the tag, air mailed the throw to first into RF. the RF was in the shift on the CF side. runner rounding 2nd. RF air mails the ball into the LF dug out. batter scores.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Agree, I think that is the correct call.

5. R2112

R2112 Member

No, no, and no again.

(I've got three boys in little league, one of whom catches fairly often. With wild pitches as regular occurrences, you get familiar with dropped third strike rules fast).

Your definition/justification is exactly the same scenario as if a batter hits the ball with two outs and bases loaded and the third base runner is thrown out at home. Does the batter get another chance at the top of the next inning, since he was never out? Of course not.

This is covered in rules 6.06 and 6.09 of the MLB. A batter becomes a runner on a dropped third strike if a) first base is unoccupied or b) there are two outs, regardless of whether 1st is occupied. b) applied in the scenario described by the OP.

So the next batter should have started in the next inning. Unless there is some rules quirk in your local HS league......

EDIT: For clarity, the key here is that once a batter becomes a runner, his turn at bat is over. A dropped third strike with two outs always results in the batter becoming a runner.

Tom CT, aynirar27 and Jon Silberman like this.
  6. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Did you happen to notice I used the term "I believe" rather than "I know it to be a fact"? Calm down.

7. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

He seemed calm, and was quite clear and informative; citing actual rules and stuff~ It's ok to be wrong, even in a public forum. It's not like he's saying anything negative about you. There is no getting offended in baseball! Gentleman's game!

-Mark

Papanate and Tom CT like this.
  8. tone4days

tone4days Member

i dont think you saw an inside the park HR
    i think you saw an unearned run caused by 3 errors

Tom CT likes this.
  9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Exactly. I played semi-pro ball for a long time and I once made it all the way around the bases on a bunt. The catcher threw it into right field and the rightfielder threw the ball about 20 feet up the line as I headed to third. Funniest part was that it wasn't even a good bunt and we were up 1-0. :)

But it wasn't an inside the park home run.

Peace,

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Yes, not exactly that, but something like it with a guy on my team getting all the around to score on a succession of errors happened in my first ever little league game. As far as we were concerned, it was a home run! But at any level past that, no. Not even at that level of course, but we weren't going to let a minor technicality like that spoil it.

11. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

It is a HR in little league as far as I'm concerned (it was when I was coaching).

Interesting aside (to me) regarding those kind of plays. When I played little league, my team was about .500 most years (I actually played from the ages of 8-12 in a 10-12 league). There was one team (Metro) who won the championship every year. They routinely destroyed my team. When I got into HS though, I discovered that half the starters on the varsity team came from my team and some of us went on to play in college and beyond, where nobody from Metro even started in HS. When my own son was in little league, I asked my father (a fantastic ballplayer himself) why Metro beat every other team so handily with players who went nowhere. He told me that their coach just told then to keep running and running so they turned singles into doubles (or triples) and just scored a ton that way. Because at that level, you can get away with that. Someone will throw a ball away. Conversely, our coach didn't care about the outcome of the game, rather he spent time teaching the fundamentals.

Peace,

tone4days likes this.