• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Based on the following info., which Ryan Adams cd should I listen too?

squeally dan

I liked "Gold" but I have tried to listen to "Cold Roses" several times and it just bores me. I don't dislike it but it once caused me to fall asleep while driving on the highway.

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
You might check out "Heartbreaker"- there's some really good stuff on there, but it's not without some mellow moments. More acoustic than a lot of the later stuff (or just about anything with the cardinals). I also like Whiskeytown a lot- check out "Faithless Street."

notpetrucci

29 might be a good one for you.

I don't see how Cold Roses bored you. Heartbreaker is good if you wanna get into what Ryan Adams used to be about. It's his nostalgia record.

Jacksonville City Nights is a Honky-tonk record in every sense of the word.

Easy Tiger is good.

Check this out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYMi1ay5VpQ

-Jon

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry, but 29 is horrible IMO. It's horrible.

If you liked Gold, try Demolition. That's probably the closest to the Gold sound. Cold Roses has more country influence, and some people don't like that. I personally like it.

Also, you might try Whiskeytown, which was his first band. Strangers Almanac is the album that most say is a classic. Great album. I like almost all his albums.

Eventually the country grows on you. I used to hate country sounds, now I'm a singer/guitar player/songwriter in an alt-country/roots rock band. It just grows on you.

squeally dan

I love country music but for some reason the songs on "Cold Roses" didn't move me. I guess I need to listen again but I've tried it a few times.

Dustin

Silver Supporting Member
I'd go with Easy Tiger. The first half of Cardinology is good, but nothing really stands out in the second half, imo.

Faithless Street is good too, but maybe a little too country for me.

squeally dan

I downloaded Easy Tiger and I'm liking the first half. Need to listen to the rest. Also downloaded Heartbreakfasr but haven't listened yet.

LPSlinger

I liked "Gold" but I have tried to listen to "Cold Roses" several times and it just bores me. I don't dislike it but it once caused me to fall asleep while driving on the highway.
I'd say Easy Tiger or Cardinology would be good for you based on that. Also I'd second the Stranger's Almanac by Whiskeytown suggestion.

Steve73

I might be in the minority here, but my fav by him is the Rock and Roll CD. If you like the uptempo stuff off Gold, check it out, though it is less rootsy, and more Smiths-y than Gold.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
my favorite is jacksonville city nights. it is very country, like traditional style country for alot of it, but it also has some of his darkest stuff and some of his best vocals by far.

MLG8675

Man with the ear!

I think RA has turned into Pee Wee. I miss the self destruction, (powder and two bottles of wine shows) I saw him in a club with the Batman shirt spitting when he was singing Black Flag songs....

How much of a Nerd can he turn into?

Glad he is clean.

Going to see the show tomorrow night.

Ryan Keith Richards Adams
Enjoy the show! I saw him Sunday night, it was great.

slippyknees

Don't check out any of his studio recordings. They're okay - some better than others for sure - but they just don't translate....you've got to hear this guy live.

Here's a link to the show I saw a few weeks ago in Boston - incredible show. These guys are amazing.

This will give you a much better idea of what this guy's all about these days than his studio records will (in my opinion).

Happy listening!

http://www.archive.org/details/ra2009-02-21.flac16_matrix_orpheum

Trending Topics