Basic Audio Gnarly Fuzz hiss question

ramonneke76

Just received the Gnarly fuzz today. Great, great pedal! Cool fuzz tones. Bought it on Ebay.

However, I noticed there is a rather amount of constant background hiss. I just put the guitar right in and the pedal goes to my '76 SF Princeton reverb.
A one spot or battery makes no difference.

Lower the gain works when I set the Texture knob almost counter clockwise. After 8 o clock the hiss starts to come in. For example, when I have all the knobs set at noon it hisses really like crazy. That's when I have my amp set at just 3. It's mostly the texture knob that has effect on the hiss.

I have more fuzz boxes and I don't mind a little background noise but this hiss, but this is a bit annoying. Maybe I have to spend more time to dial it in.

Just curious.. Is this normal behaviour for the Gnarly?

Empros

At the minimum texture position, you'll hear less noise, like you said.
As you bring it up, you'll get more noise.

There's some technical explanation for that I'm sure, but I ain't technical :)

I've never noticed the Gnarly's general noise floor to be that bad. The noise doesn't get in the way of playing.

MBT74

I have an early Gnarly Fuzz and mine has quite a bit of hiss too. I had a newer one before and don't remember hiss when I had that one.

dharkon8

All my fuzz pedals have some background noise at gig levels. I haven't noticed the gnarly being any louder that the others.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
with all knobs at NOON, the apparent volume of Gnarly is definitely louder than "unity gain";
with texture & fuzz at noon, "unity gain" seems to be reached with the level control at just a hair under 10 o'clock.

with a fuzz like gnarly, it's a good idea to always have an idea how much harder you're actually hitting the amp with the fuzz "on" than you were before you engaged the fuzz; helps to control the noise of all the extra gain, if you need to do that.

different settings of fuzz + texture alter that "unity gain" point; that's what the level knob is for; you can adjust that knob accordingly.

depending upon the sound, i sometimes like to hit the amp a little bit harder than unity gain, or much harder than unity gain, but....
if the amp is really super-clean or really bright, then..... i usually just keep it near "unity gain".

really cool fuzz!, imo, once you have an idea how it can sound & learn how to get the hang of it.

Last edited:

BluesHarp

Mine hissed quite a bit too... sold it for that reason. Doesn't matter.. if you want a superb fuzz in that style that is quiet then you should try the Spooky fuzz. Its not quite as raw, but its very tone-full and has 3 or 4 really different cool fuzz tones in it. I sold the Spooky too but for different reasons.. nothing wrong with the pedal.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Mine hissed quite a bit too... sold it for that reason. Doesn't matter.. if you want a superb fuzz in that style that is quiet then you should try the Spooky fuzz. Its not quite as raw, but its very tone-full and has 3 or 4 really different cool fuzz tones in it. I sold the Spooky too but for different reasons.. nothing wrong with the pedal.
maybe you mean "Spooky Tooth"?

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
My Gnarly is hissy. John modded it for less hiss, something I presume he rolled into production a couple of years ago. It still has about the most white noise of any pedal I currently have, but I love the Gnarly. If hiss is required to make it do its thing, so be it.

Empros

Tried again today with P90s and Tele pickups. Barely any noise. Definitely no white noise. Not sure what you guys are hearing.

My Caroline Meteore Reverb has slightly more noise.

Gary Ladd

Great fuzz - mine wasn't that noisy for a fuzz.
+1

Actually, I'm very picky with noise floor issues with pedals, and the Gnarly I have is well below my threshold for noise, on top of which it kicks all sorts of arse :aok

Definitely no white noise issues - I'd send it back to John for a look under the hood...

GL

Trending Topics