Basic Audio Pedal Users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radiomanjh, Apr 8, 2015.

1. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Member

well I'm trying to decide which should be my first. I play mostly strange, moody ambient type music and also surf. I have a Wet Reverb Mono and a Catalinbread Echorec on my board right now. I play a Strat clone into a Vintage Sound Amps 20. I want one of Johns fuzz pedals and kind of narrowed it down to a Fuzz Mutant or Alter-Destiny but am open to any ideas. I've watched all the videos but would like some opinions of those who have lived with Johns pedals. Thanks for any info.

2. JerS

JerS Member

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with John's stuff. All of it is amazing, and they look super-cool to boot!

3. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

You could say I'm a Basic Audio fan... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1545107

If you've narrowed it down to the AD and Fuzz Mutant.. good luck picking! They're both great fuzzes.

The Fuzz Mutant is hands down my favourite fuzz ever. But it's a FUZZ. No distortion or OD sounds, all fuzz. It's got a stickiness to the attack that's really nice if you like that kind of thing. It doesn't flub out, it cuts through a mix nicely, and is pick sensitive depending on where you have it. It's for someone who wants a FUZZ.

The Alter-Destiny is probably the most verstaile fuzz I've tried (next to the Scarab Deluxe). The AD can do that typical Big Muff sound if you want it, but can also do great lower gain sounds that retain a lot of clarity. You have more tonal range with the AD, you have a Tone control, Mid control and Fat control. Those all help dial in the pedal to work with any rig. The Fuzz Mutant doesn't have a tone control, but other controls that will change the feel, sound and response of the pedal. It doesn't necessarily change the EQ though.

If you like a big singing sustaining tone, the AD is the better choice. If you want something more unique, the Fuzz Mutant is hard to beat IMO.
    The AD is a safer bet because it can be tweaked to work in any rig.

4. JerS

JerS Member

....although if it were me, I'd go with a gnarly fuzz. ;)

5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I have an Alter Destiny on hand temporarily (tourbox) and it is really versatile and highly configurable. I'm not usually a muff fan but this pedal sounds really good. If you roll down your guitar volume and lower the Fuzz level on the AD there are some very nice overdrive sounds in there too.

-bEn r.