Basic Audio Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josh.rigaud, Jan 31, 2012.

1. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Paticularly the Fuzzes......... yes? no?...... Listening to a few clips and must say that they sound pretty good. Anyone own one?

2. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

I really like his Foxey Lady fuzz.

3. chillytc

chillytc Member

Definitely yes.

I've owned (and still own) quite a few fuzzes and the two that have stayed on my board are the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe (very versatile fuzz that can morph pretty seamlessly from overdrive-like to spitting and sputtery) and the Basic Audio Wildcat (two knob simplicity and great cutting tones that really work in a band mix context).

4. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

A big YES on the Basic Audio stuff. I've played almost everything from the line and bought 4 of them. Great sounding circuits and are some of the best built pedals around. I really like the Spooky Tooth, Squarewave+, Wildcat and Gnarly. All the controls are well thought out and very usable throughout the whole range. Lots of volume available too.
    Great stuff! Some of the custom stuff I've seen John do is just crazy.

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Enjoyed every one I've owned/tried. The Scarab Deluxe is a great place to start. Super versatile and plays well with a lot of different guitars/amps. I love my big box version that Tone Factor sells:

[​IMG]

6. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

This!

Sometimes I think that John may be some sort of electronics machine/robot/wizard hybrid. I have no evidence to support this theory.

7. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

John's stuff is awesome...I own/have tried a bunch and I really dig them...here's a few of my fav's...

Scarab Deluxe-Does a ton of stuff...from lower gain up to spitty fuzz

Futureman-Awesome CSO style pedal...great for stacking with other pedals

Gnarly Fuzz-a freakin' Monster...can get some MK1/Super Fuzz style sounds(IMO).. as well as others...

Lucky Number-Great fuzzy OD/Distortion...tons of sustain

His build quality is very nice...he'll do custom stuff "off the menu" as well...highly recommended builder...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Absolutely excellent build quality and very versatile fuzzes. I have the Scarab Deluxe and I am very impressed with John's work.

9. vanguard

vanguard Member

i'm waiting on a highly customized scarab deluxe as we speak. it's taking about a month, but damn is it gonna be sweet. It's gonna have his yellow-rust, textured finish, small box, and a compliment of very cool parts inside. i can't wait to get it.

10. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Man I never heard of them before for some reason. Their demo's are blowing my mind. Im thinking the Scarab Deluxe , foxy lady or solar myth

11. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Anyone have their number? Im VERY short one time. No Phone NRs on their site... i e mailed them, But I need to know a few things asap.

12. nealh999

nealh999 Member

I just bought a custom dual pedal that has a Spooky Tooth on the left and a Scarab Deluxe on the right. I can honestly say that these are two of the best pedals I've had or tried in 25 years of playing. Most importantly, they are the most FUN pedals I've owned. The Spooky covers a lot of territory from overdrive to nasty fuzz with octave overtones, and the 4 knobs are VERY interactive, which has been the source of lots of fun tweaking. The Scarab Deluxe is a great take on the Tonebender sound, and the extra knobs again allow for a lot of cool sounds you can't get from a two or three-knobber. The cool thing is that they actually stack really well. I thought they would sound like an exploding volcano together (and they can), but dialed in, you can use one side for a boost (or blast) to the other.

Go ahead and take the plunge, but be aware that he's getting popular and really backed up these days. You won't regret it.

13. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

The Zippy is the best sounding fuzz I've ever played.
    And I've played a bunch of John's other stuff too. All top notch. And John is a stand-up guy (except when he's sitting down).

14. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

+1 Scarab Deluxe. I have a custom small box Scarab deluxe... It's just gorgeous, and it sounds even sexier than it looks! :love:

The ability to shape the sound with the knobs on-board is really astounding. I can get smooth OD tones, and sputtery raspy fuzz all out of the same box. The guts are just as impressive. Impeccable wiring and clean design. Buy with confidence from John!

15. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

John Lyons builds some amazing fuzz boxes. Very responsive to emails. The Scarab Deluxe is my favorite, I'm picking up a second one to place on my other board.

16. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Yea -- John rocks. His pedals sound fantastic and have some of the cleanest builds I've ever seen.

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've owned the Scarab Deluxe and still have the muff-search-ending Tri/Ram. John is a fantastic builder, putting out top of the line pedals, no doubt. And a nice guy to boot!

18. ran_dizolph

ran_dizolph Member

Scarab Deluxe quickly became my main dirt/fuzz box. Extremely versatile.

Futureman, as mentioned, is awesome for stacking, but I also run it as a slight OD on its own and sounds amazing.

You can't lose really.

19. Bigdrive501

Bigdrive501 Supporting Member

I flip fuzz pedals fairly often,my Basic Audio Foxey lady is the only fuzz I've owned that as of now I have no intention of getting rid of. It's my perfect muff,the Mids knob really makes it jump out like no other BM I've played

Craig

20. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i went through a dirt flipping faze myself, and foolishly swapped the Foxey Lady out. after realizing the error of my ways, i ended up getting another one. it's really a phenomenal pedal.

i would love to try the solar myth and scarab deluxe, as well.