Basic Audio "Zippy" Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ZepFuzz05, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Ginsly

Ginsly Member

Thanks for the comparison, that's kind of what I thought when I listened to the videos of the Zippy. I like the Mini-Bone, but I just don't use it that much - still, I feel like I would miss it if I let it go!

The only problem with ordering a custom Zippy with the switch is that it'll cost me a lot more than the one I found locally (which is around $100). I guess the used-pedal buyer can't be too picky when he finds a good deal, though I'll always wonder what other fuzzy goodness I'm missing out on without the toggle... Decisions! Maybe John can mod it for me if I decide to pull the trigger...

2. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

Either way, Zippy is a great pedal. And for the record, the sax tones are there in the original mode too. Pick one up, give it a try and see what you think. After I got the Horny Zippy, I had John mod my Zippy #002 to "Horny" specs with the switch. Again, you can just ask him about it. He's a nice guy and very easy to work with.

3. Ginsly

Ginsly Member

Oh - so there have been three standard versions? Looks like there's been the Horny Zippy with a switch, Zippy with a switch, and regular Zippy w/no switch. Didn't realize there was a difference in sound between the Horny Zippy w/switch and the regular Zippy w/switch... guess I'm still a little confused. Oh well, I'm sure they're all killer!

4. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Zippy is on my list... I really like the dude's guitar playing in the BA demos!

5. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

No, I don't think that's the case.

The very first Zippy was part of a tourbox on the Tone Factor forum. It was purchased by 2Guests before the box ever left his hands, but Zippy #001 made it to me in the tourbox. I played it, fell in love, and ordered one before I sent the tour box along. Gururyan bought one as well. That accounts for the first three Zippy fuzzes. It became a regular production model in the Basic Audio line after that.

Last summer, I was talking to John about building me another Zippy and he told me he has something special in mind. That was the first Zippy with a switch, the Horny Zippy. Some other folks heard about it, but a few were not comfortable with the name "Horny" on their pedal, so John made some Horny Zippies without the "Horny" name, but with the horny switch.

So, in short, there are two types of Zippy fuzzes (that I am aware of):
    1. Original Zippy. No switch.
    2. Zippy w/switch. Some labelled as "Horny Zippy," other prudes have some without the "Horny" name. A vegetarian objected to the bacon label for the original/bacon mode, so there is at least one switchable Zippy with a horn icon but no bacon.

John does lots of custom work, so the appearance/labels may differ, but the Zippy circuit should be the same; some with the two switchable modes, others without.

Hope this helps. If not, contact John and ask him directly.

Cheers!

6. Ginsly

Ginsly Member

Gotcha - seriously, thanks for clearing all of this up for me!

7. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

The Zippy fuzz sounds great. [​IMG]

Does Basic Audio make a Shin-ei Campanion FY-2 fuzz?

8. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

No prob. Glad to help. The Zippy is a badass fuzz.

9. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

I think one of the BA fuzzes gets into FY-2 territory, but I don't remember which one... Ask John. He'll know. :wave

10. 2guests

2guests Member

The Gnarly gets into a blendable combination of the FZ-1 and the FY-2 territory.

P.Fuzz is spot on with the Zippy history...he was there when it all first went down!

11. Zero G

Zero G Member

Damn, I have a germ Bone Machine on order and now I have GAS for a Zippy. Thanks a lot!

:peenut

12. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Ha! I have a Zippy that I love and gave in to GAS and put a germ bone machine on order. Sometimes you just gotta have both.

13. Zero G

Zero G Member

Yep. Shhhh, don't tell the wife!

14. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Huh, that's something right there...

15. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

People get really crazy over bacon - both for and against.

I get really crazy for Mr. John Lyons - He's the Bee's Bacon. Dig the Buzzzzzz.

16. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

More bacon for me.
    :)

17. gururyan

gururyan Member

Spent the afternoon with my Zippy, plan to spend the evening with it too.

18. mykkus

mykkus Member

I just Craigslist-scored a Zippy with no "Horny" or bacon graphic...took me maybe 10 minutes after leaving the meeting spot that I may have just met the aforementioned vegetarian.

19. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I think they're all like that now.

20. Ivo

Ivo Member

This is the pedal I seem to want the most from BA, but every time I get close to pulling the trigger - I take it out of the shopping cart and put in a random BA pedal I just discovered and buy that instead. :dunno Happened twice now. Dunno wtf is going on. One day...