1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

basic country moves?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rorschah, Jan 11, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

I mostly play blues/jazz stuff, but I have a friend who's learning piano who wants to play some country. (6 months in, but damn talented. Maybe the 15 years of opera chorus training is helping a little. His ear is sensational.)

I thought it'd be fun to play with him. Any source, like a webpage, for some basic country licks and comps and things?

Alternately, I'd be willing to shell out the bucks for a nice book if it had that stuff, but eventually took me in the direction of, say, folks like Doc Watson. Or is the country/folk divide too big? I really don't know a lot about this area.

-thi

2. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

its not a huge gap, but its growing i.e. Shania Twain is essentially a pop singer, Allison Krauss bluegrass, K.D. Lang more western/swing almost jazz occasionally, etc. but they all fall under the country heading.

you may want to figure out which "country" direction your friend is heading in.

check out the stuff from truefire. I've done a few of these lessons and found them valuable. you can pull a few buffet-style, or get the whole thing on disc.

http://truefire.com/twangu/twangu.htm

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Arlen Roth is a great educator in this field. "The Masters of the Telecaster" book/cd is a great resource. There's a nice DVD of this too, but it isn't as detailed as the book. He has other vids and books that you can find at music stores and online, or his site is hotlicks.com.

Another great teacher of country (among other things) is Steve Trovato who's got tons of books from beginner to advanced level of instruction.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

5. Axxx

Axxx Member

6. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    It sounds silly but a teacher friend of mine said,(after setting me up with a free lance country gig), just make sure you hit the sixth alot in the scales and play lots of sixth interval double stops. That tid bit helped pulled me through 4 sets of tunes I'd never played before. :p

7. Hey tele man,
    I got a great kick out of your devil thing
    tony

8. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  9. ABKB

ABKB Member

Thanks rotren, that was very helpful for me!

10. R Anderson

R Anderson Member

Tim -

First time I have been to your site. That's some nice pickin'!
    Russell

11. Automatic S1im

Automatic S1im Member

A little more involved, but if you can find old recordings of the fiddle players. That's were it all comes from. Licks, fills, solo "technique".

The steel players try to sound like fiddle players and the guitar players try to sound like fiddle players.